Horse Quarantine in Wyoming and Montana???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year Kentucky required a negative VS test w/in 10 days of entering the state which caught exhibitors off guard when they arrived at the showground of a major show to unload. A whole lot of scrambling went on for a few days while blood was pulled and sent to the Fed lab in Iowa for testing.

455549[/snapback]

Edited to say that horses who were from states which boardered states where VS was present were required to have a negative VS test. CO had VS and Kansas boarders CO so the Kansas horses needed the test. It was a bunch of hooey because these horses were from eastern Kansas, exactly 4 miles from the Missouri boarder. Hardly close to CO at all.

OMG...what an ordeal! I'll be praying for you that there are not VS outbreaks in WA!! I bet you will be so happy to finally get those horses home onto Canadian soil!!
yes.gif

Thanks for your kind words all.

With respect to whether or not passing through a state VS actually being on the ground in an affected state I can tell you without a doubt that crossing a state line for however brief a period of time is all it takes. I think you can imagine the intense discussion I had with the Federal vet at the border on the matter. This passing through issue was confirmed for me by the vet clinic in Washington. That is why that state is insisting on an itinerary for travel in the 30 days the horses are out of the state. I received an e-mail this morning from someone in Illinois telling me that state has some tough restrictions too.

All I can say to you folks is to check...double check...and triple check and keep checking because of how quickly this situation changes. And always have that back up plan in place so your horses are not stranded.

Hi Ya, Eileen!

I was so glad to hear you made it home safely today! One thing she didn't tell you all abt was the mountains that she hates driving over... but she did to get her girls to a safe place! When I told her she was 7.5 hours from the Clinic I could hear the discouragement in her voice. I just wish I could have done more to help you, Eileen.

Take care and I'll TTYL,

Debi

Latest posts

Back