Horse not drinking, could use some suggestions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
It is cold here, 10*.

I have a horse not drinking much at all. Actually, very little. Has their own bucket, so I do know.

I have tried: warmer water, gatorade in water, apple juice and a salt block is supplied.

Can you give me any other suggestions? If I am adding something, would you also let me know the amount of what ever your suggestion is.

Thanks for your time.

As a short term help I'd be adding soupy beet pulp to his/her feed to help get some wather into him/her.

[SIZE=14pt]You could try adding molasses into warm water and dissolve. I've used about 1/4 of a cup for 1/2 of a 5 gal. bucket. I use apple juce and they love it in their warm water. If they perfer carrots over apples you could put some carrots in the food processor and make some carrot juice to add to the water.[/SIZE]

Christy

I'm not sure what grain you use but if its a senior or junior feed you can add water to it to make a mash.

When my gelding wasn't drinking his water A friend told me to give him water with molasses disolved in it. I guess it was bout a 1/4 cup....I just poured some in a small bucket with warm water. He slurped it up right away and was looking for more. I gave him a bit more and then he just went back to drinking normal again. Worked for me.
default_smile.png

HOW ABOUT DUNKING SOME APPLES IN HIS WATER, OR AS SOMEONE ALREADY SAID VERY WATERY BEET PULP, I HOPE IT GOES OKAY,

I've got one thats not drinking and vet put him on red cell , gator aid given orally by scrunge, and I have been soaking his hay and grain...he seems to be drinking a little now been a week now.....You might try giving him/her the gator aid directly rather than in the water....

I have a gelding that also doesn't like to drink enough when it gets really cold. I put loose salt in his Sr. mix (about 1/8 cup per feeding, all the critters get this even though they have blocks in their stalls) and give him a real soupy beet mash every night. I've also filled a bucket with warm water and put in just a cup of Sr. mix so he has to fish around for the yummy stuff.

Good luck, I know how nerve wracking it can be.

If you've got alfalfa cubes around, make a very watery mash with those, and he should slurp it right up!

Not a unique problem in cold weather. Heck I do not like drinking water that zings my teeth. You have received many good suggestions in previous posts but I will agree 100% with the beet pulp as a means to get extra water into a dry horse. A bit of extra molasses or enticement to get them started might be beneficial. One thing we all have to look forward to is spring and a return to warmer weather.

Does he have access to snow????

Do you have a bucket heater in there? Make sure it's not shorting out. I used to test mine every time by sticking my hand in the water. Then one day I noticed that I didn't feel anything on my HAND, but a small cut I had tingled! When I pulled the plug it went away! I tossed THAT heater right out!

Lucy

Mine don't like drinking in the stalls a lot. They prefer to drink outside from the little troffs. That's ok, as long as they drink. I'm wondering if she just prefers to drink outside.

The other suggestion would be to wash the buckets out with baking soda.

My vet suggested I feed them a warm, soupy bran mash drizzled with molasses. Beet pulp (soaked) is greatl however, my horses hate it.

The bran mash is always enjoyed and this would ensure some water intake and warms their bellies on a very cold night.

default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back