Horse/mule bite?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capriole

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Just noticed Prince has this swelling on his neck/throat...there's a couple of places missing hair.

Does it look like he could have been bitten by Kazoo (most likely) or Farah (less likely)?

Prince and Kazoo do play rough...I've seen Prince bite him on the crest...maybe I shouldn't let them out together anymore?

I can't think of anything else it could be. IMG_20220823_130425020.jpgIMG_20220823_130404480.jpgIMG_20220823_130502776.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks a bit more swollen this morning...but, I'm pretty sure I first saw it soon after it happened.
I called the vet yesterday (during my initial panic ;) ) but, no answer (not unusual...after calming down a bit I didn't think it was an emergency, so didn't call her emergency number).
I did let Kazoo out today since Prince doesn't seem to be bothered by him being near, actually he was hanging out with him by the fence...I figure it was just a playful bite...I imagine if it was a bite meant to hurt him Prince would be uncomfortable around him. The more I think about it the more I realize that would be the most likely spot Kazoo would bite when they are both rearing up, since he is a bit smaller than Prince.
I think I'm going to try to get ahold of the vet again today to see if she thinks she should see him or just wait....

Thank you everyone...

I thought it was a bite because there was a bit of hair missing on both sides....and I've seen them rearing up, playing....but, a kick is a possibility.
Anyway, apparently I was overreacting...the vet didn't think it warranted a visit since it doesn't seem to be painful and there was no heat (I did hose it down a bit....he didn't care for that).
The swelling is already going down...the left side is almost normal.

Thank you everyone...

I thought it was a bite because there was a bit of hair missing on both sides....and I've seen them rearing up, playing....but, a kick is a possibility.
Anyway, apparently I was overreacting...the vet didn't think it warranted a visit since it doesn't seem to be painful and there was no heat (I did hose it down a bit....he didn't care for that).
The swelling is already going down...the left side is almost normal.
Little rascals! I hate when they scare us. I had a dent in my leg one time a few years ago from falling on a rock. I asked the doctor about it and he had a name for it (which I can't remember) but it is basically displacement of fat. It took a few years to be normal. I've seen dents like that on horses, and wondered about the cause, and it could be a swift kick.

Latest posts

Back