Horse movies and horse books

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wade3504

Reaction score
I saw a movie the other day that I never knew it existed...it was The Young Black Stallion now it wasn't all that exciting but it had horses in it so you know how that is. If it's about horses I'll watch it. I was glad that they actually made sure that they used arabian horses and didn't try to pass another breed of horse off as one.

Anyway, I was wondering what other horse movies I have missed.

The ones that I can think of that i have seen are:

Secretariat

Seabiscuit

All 3 Black Stallion movies

Pharlap (could be spelled Far Lap, not sure)

Hildago

Man From Snowy River-both of them

Black Beauty

War Horse

Flicka

The Red Pony

I'm sure there are more out there and I probably have forgotten some that I have seen but can't remember so do any of you have suggestions?

Also, any good horse books

Appaloosa

The White Stallion

Spirit

Wild Hearts Cant Be Broken

You can't forget Barclay's Big Adventure and the Adventures of Ragtime......they are about a miniature horse and the adventures he gets into!!

Also, there's Flicka 2 and 3

The Colt

Dan Patch

Dreamer

Horse Whisperer

Misty

Horse for Danny

Moondance Alexander

Pit Pony

Horse Boy

Virginia's Run

Two Bits and Pepper

Wild Horse redemption

Horse Crazy

Disney's "Horse In the Grey Flannel Suit" !!!!!

Disney's "The white Stallions" (not sure if I got the name exactly right-it's about the Lippizaners and General Patton)

Oops! Horse books!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have quite the collection. Books and sets from when I was in grade to high school and ones I would like to get my hands on. Many are out of print.

Books by K.M. Peyton-'Fly By Night' and 'The Team' plus more.

Series of three: Silver Birch, Midnight Moon, and Golden Sovereign

Timber Trail Farm series

The Horsemasters (Book and a Movie by Disney)

Authors: Sara Gruen (Flying Changes and Riding Lessons-she also wrote 'Water for Elephants'), Sam Savitt, Marguerite Henry, Lynn Hall, Patsy Gray, Jean Slaughter Doty, Betty Cavanna, and that's just a few. You might still find some of these authors through the Libraries or on Amazon or such.

Can you tell I am a bookworm-couch potatoe! LOL!!!

If you want to see a cameo appearance of a beautiful tandem pair see Darby OGill and the Little People. Lovely!

Mysteries by Dick Francis, all set around the horse industry in England.

Some movies from the 80s and earlier, but just as wonderful:

Hacksaw

Danny

National Velvet

Home in Indianna

The Red Fury

The Wild Pony

Disney's Mustang

Sylvester

Running Free

And a comedy:

Hot to Trot

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOOH! In 'The Wizard of Oz'-have you all looked real hard at the mini/ponies pulling in the carriage in Munchkinland in the scene when Dorothy arrives? They are the most petite little refined things (and 'hot to trot' looking too!)!!!

Thanks everyone. There are some that you added that I forgot about but others that I am going to try and find. I didn't know there was a Flicka 2 and 3 either. I thought there was only the 1. I have seen National Velvet and International Velvet, Dreamer, The Horse Whisperer, and the White Stallions but alot of the rest I will have to check out and see if I can find.

You all have brought back some memories My fav book is King of the Wind, and maybe one of you will remember when Disney came on Sunday nights. They used to show made for TV movies and one of my favorites was about a horse named Tonka, he was an indian pony that was also a calvery horse, and was a survivor of Custers Last Stand. I've looked every where for this movie, the disney stores don't carry it, and neither does their web-site. It starred Sal Mineo and I think it was made in the 1950's.

I remember Tonka! It is available on DVD, Riverrose! HERE. And HERE.

Phar Lap is the correct spelling!
default_yes.gif

I can add these to all the others:

Brady's Escape... with Kelly Reno of the Black Stallion in WW II Hungary... I see it is posted on YouTube in parts.

Bite the Bullet ... with Gene Hackman & Candace Bergen.

Casey's Shadow ... with Walter Matthau

Gosh a couple of these I have not seen! Fav books would have to be Walter Farleys books, Marguarite Henry too- ha any books with horses.

I remember Tonka! gosh I have not thought about that in years! I read a book last month called The 80 dollar Champion, it was a true story about a horse named Snowman from back in the 50's... a horse who was bought off a slaughterhouse truck. I got it from the library on my Kindle and Loved it.

I'm always looking for good literature that happens to be about horses. Pretty rare. Two of the best, though written for young readers, are Mary O'Hara's My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead. These books are beautifully written. I've heard that the finale in the series, Green Grass of Wyoming, is just as well-written, but I've yet to read it.

Jane Smiley's Horse Heaven is excellent.

...and my all-time favorite short story, William Saroyan's The Summer of the Beautiful White Horse. Brilliant and funny.

Another book series marketed for kids but great reading for anyone and noted for its depiction of the people of Appalachian Mountains, the Tough Enough and Sassy series, by Ruth Carroll Latrobe, are unforgettable.

are wonderful.

OH BOO HOO! I have dial up, and sometimes i can get a vedio and it will start and stop, but this one won't load at all.

Good subject...loved all these movies
default_smile.png

I was wondering what you all thought of movies that show a horse that is supposed to be one sex and really the other? Example: The heck Bitch in Lonesome Dove was supposed to be a mare, but in fact a stallion!

The HUGE differences between National Velvet and International Velvet..I mean come on, did they really think that horse folks wouldn't notice that The Pie was a Chestnut(also if you didn't know, son of Man O'War) and they used a bay horse in the 2nd movie..
default_frusty.gif
...I mean I enjoyed the movie, not as much as the first, but couldn't they stick to what worked first or did they not see the first movie
default_whistling.gif

Also I don't like that for instance, Hidalgo was based on true facts, when it wasn't true at all....made for a great movie, but I would think that movie makers would like to state the truth, but then again...
default_pinocchio.gif

I would LOVE to find out who those ponies were who pulled the carriage in Wizard Of Oz and the horses they used for the horse of a different color. How hard was it to die those different horses..!

The horse that they used in Flicka was a purebred Arabian mare named, Wahana by Abu Farwa out of Mehana (Hanad x *Mecca-an Arabian mare imported from Spain). She had two foals, a purebred and a part-bred. Her dams sire, Hanad was used at the Kellogg ranch in their weekend shows performing all sorts of tricks, including jumping a rope with the rider on. He was twirling the rope, while Hanad jumped through it.....so maybe Wahana was a natural for the movie and TV series about Flicka
default_smile.png

A few other movies I thought of were:

In Pursuit Of Honor

Shergar

Ruffian

Smoky

The Electric Horseman

Bite The Bullet

Home In Indiana

Charismatic

The Red Pony I saw when I was a kid and I had terrible nightmares after I saw it. It was done well, but a horrible movie in my opinion and I bet I wasn't the only one to have nightmares!

Jenny

While I love John Steinbeck's writing, The Red Pony broke my heart and I won't read it again or ever see the movie.

Well found some interesting info on the horses and one of the ponies used in Wizard Of Oz...

Four separate horses were used to create the effect of an animal that changes color from moment to moment; the filmmakers found that multiple color changes on a single horse were too time-consuming. The ASPCA refused to allow the horses to be dyed; instead, technicians tinted the animals with lemon, cherry and grape powdered gelatin to create a spectrum of colors, white, yellow, red, and purple. The horses had to be prevented from licking the colored powder off themselves between takes.

One of the two black ponies that pulled Dorothy around the big Munchkinland set in her flower petal carriage was the same pony Rhett Butler fatefully gave to his daughter Bonnie Blue in Gone With the Wind.

Mister Butler or Blackie are reported names of this pony. But from someone who had a friend who actually rode this pony as a small child and knew the owner/trainer said, the pony's real name was Coaly.

very interesting...
default_thumbup.gif

Jenny

Latest posts

Back