Horse Losing her hair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie P

Reaction score
Has anyone here experienced a horse losing all their hair? The only thing I can think of is she is bothered by the chemicals in the fly spray. I have stopped fly spray and bathed her in baby shampoo - pretty soon she is going to be completely bald.
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked

I haven't changed anything else in her program - I am just stumped. I have never experienced anything like this before and I'm worried about her. Winter is coming here in Michigan and she surely cannot be bald - she'll freeze to death.

HELP!!!!

I had an Appaloosa filly lose all of her hair in the spring of her yearling year. She was a bald as a baby mouse! I never did know the cause, but she did very soon grow-in her normal coat, alibet in a different colour. (She was solid chestnut, but it grew in snowflaked) I have also heard of a quarter horse mare that balded and grew back a normal coat as well.

Sounds like you might have to get a few good heavy blankets to help her out until she (hopefully) grows her coat back.

Yes, could be the fly spray. Years ago, we had a chestnut (full size) mare that the flies attacked her neck/chest area, so I sprayed her with fly spray. Well, soon ALL the hair fell off her neck and chest. So now I avoid commercial fly sprays. I would also check into the ingredients in her feed, did you change it lately.? Yes, you are going to need some winter blankets for sure. Good Luck.

I've heard of horses shedding bald routinely each year... the Paint mare I "own" (free leased her out to a friend and she'll probably never come home so I don't think of her as mine anymore haha) does it in patches. But of course it could be something like the fly spray as well!

Jessi

Connie,

I have a mare this year who is 8. I have never had an issue with her, ever. This year though I had some small black sand flies, from who knows where, that just ate her to pieces. My mare is bare on her face, chest, belly, tailbone and shoulders. I have never seen this, but I know this mare, no matter what I did for her this summer, has just rubbed the crap out of these areas and is bald there.

I am using Gall salve (used mainly for harness rubbed areas). It seems to help promote new cell growth and hair growth. You could also try some A&D ointment form the baby section, just to moisten the areas and see if it will promote growth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Connie, 100% Aloe works great for growing back hair and stopping itching, My friends colt was totally bald , cause from anti bodies when the mare got an infection , he got it from the milk, she rubbed that all over his body and he stopped itching and started growing hair, she could not find the spray but Walmart sells the green Aloe in a bottle up here in Fremont it is by the Jewelry counter in a bottle.

This treatment was recommended by a Vet some big hospital down past Grand Rapids.

It is a natural can't hurt.

If You need a heavy blanket I can lend you one for the winter I have several sizes.

We have a 10 year old morgan gelding doing that right now at my instructor's barn. He broke out in hives really bad and now he's loosing all of his hair and his skin is really flaking off. Vet took blood samples and they came back negative for anything. The vet thinks it could be the hay, but no other horse is getting this reaction. HE doesn't get anything but Marigold fly spray as he is very sensitive to anything like that. good luck.

Christy

Thank you so much to all of you who have shared your experiences with this. I have bathed her and have a nice warm blanket for her if she should happen to need it. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back