horse is limping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
This mare I recently sold. We were waiting to deliver her until the buyer was ready to take her (she bought a foal and the foal is not weaned). Anyway, the mare is limping now. We called her vet. He determined she bruised her hoof. He said to put an Epson salt and glycerin mix. We also gave her Banimine. Three days later she is still limping. What gives????? He found no absece. I cant let her go limping like this. The lady understands things happen with horses but still. I value my rep. I need her fixed. Any thoughts???

PS we also had the farrier out. He trimmed her but said the same thing, she bruised her hoof. How long does this take???

Depending where the bruise inside the hoof is will determine how long the foot is bruised/sore/lame. If its a deep bruise it can make them lame for a long time! Are you soaking the foot once or twice a day for 20 minutes in epsone salt? Also I've heard icthamal (miss spelled) draws out stuff but you would need to keep the bottom of the foot wrapped & padded. But something like that can take quite a while and require allot of attention when it comes to an absessed foot... I've had more than my fun share with that with the big horses...... Also requires allot of patience & time!

Do you know how to check the digital pulse ?

That will tell you whether the problems really in the hoof. You check with thumb on one side middle finger on other side just below the fetlock in the pasture area.

What you're feeling for is a more pronounced pulse in one hoof then the others.

If you do find a more pronounced pulse in one hoof, you've got an abscess forming.

I have a client who had the same thing happen just recently and the vet said it was a bruise.

The abscess popped out of the coronary band three days latter.

We must have been typing at the same time. The post above is correct in the easiest way to handle an abscess. Pack the botton of the hoof with Ichthammol (20 percent) I use a small disposable diaper and then wrap with vet wrap (keeps the diaper on) and duct tape (keeps the vet wrap dry)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely check her digital pulse regularly. Bruises obviously need time to heal. You may try wrapping her hoof lightly (I have used cotton on the sole) to help keep her more comfortable. I'm sure she would also appreciate a heavily bedded stall right now. Hope she feels better soon.

Liz R.

We have been wrapping it in Epson salt and glycerin. Using a diaper a duct tape. My husband has it down to a science. We even put tape on the bottom to stop from breaking open.

Do you mix the Ichthammol with anyting?? I am going to pm you.

I don't think (I may be wrong) but you don't wrap the foot with epson salt.. You need to soak the foot in warm walter & epson salt for a good 20 minutes and then put icthamal at the bottom of the foot and then wrap the foot.. I've never heard of putting epson salt at the bottom of the foot.

Depending on the bruise too, some take a long time to heal and she may have also strained something when the bruise happened.....

Ew, my sister in law, many many years ago had a QH with an abscess.... OMG- it also came out at the coronary band - it was disgusting when it broke open. Wont go into detail but I dont want to see that again..
default_smileypuke.gif

Yikes!! I hope it is ok. Our vet said to make an epson salt and glycerien mix. like a paste and wrap it in a diaper for a few hrs!!!

It does sound like a bruised hoof, those just take time.

Could she have grease heel? We had a mare come down limping badly the vet treated her for - no lie - three weeks for an abscess. When it was not resolving, she wanted to xray, administer, something via injection into the fetlock joint, etc. My farrier came out one look and said it was grease heel, we had that taken care of right away. How she had her vet license is beyond me, but I still had a wonderful bill for those 3x a week visit to fix something that wasn't there!.

Another horse that put a hole in her hoof right below the coronary band (look like a piece punched out, but still attached), the vet cleaned it out and made a poultice with sugar and betadyne that we changed daily for a week - wrapped with thick bandages and a duct tape boot. It worked great and healed without a blemish, no damage to the hoof wall, etc.

Good luck.

Back