Horse for sale, I DO want honest answers,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have always loved sophie and thought of buying her once myself. I dont think though you can compare her price to what the big farms with big reputations get. Im thinking the ones you said were priced 5500 and 6500 are probably bigger farms with bigger names (i could be wrong!)

It is much harder for smaller farms especially ones that arent physically at the shows themselves to get those kind of prices. Not unheard of but much harder.

For example i could go buy a horse for 10,000.00 from a big famous farm. Then lets say something happened and I had to sell that same horse a year later. I would be lucky to get half of what i paid for that same horse.

As said above most put show records on their horses to increase their foals value and to be sure they are breeding what the show ring says is breeding material. The price of showing a horse is normally a long term investment (thats what i tell hubby anyway lol) Since Sophie is unproven in the breeding dept that also probably makes her take longer to sell at this price.

I would not take the $1500.00 as an insult-- perhaps they really like the mare & that is what they had to spend-- and after all -- the bidding has to start somewhere-- maybe you can go back & forth & reach a common ground somewhere in the middle..In this market for AMHR only -"B" size only (however, some prefer the B size) I would think perhaps she is perhaps priced a little high-- maybe try $2500.00 - $3000.00. However, if you truly feel that is what she is worth to you -- stick to your guns-- you have a beautiful horse.

I personally think selling her for that price may be fine in your area with AMHR shows. AMHR is not that popular here in New England and most of the shows are AMHA so a person here looking for a show horse would not pay $4000. for a AMHR horse. Plus, miniatures in general have gone down in price in the last couple of years so perhap $4000.00 is a little high but you know your area better than I. I would try to bargain with someone with an offer if you really want to sell her. Mind you, I think she is beautiful and I don't mean to hurt your feelings. As someone mentioned every one likes a bargain so if I were you, I'd get set to dicker a little.

Joyce L

I so appreciate all your thoughts.

Annnnd, no one has hurt my feelings,,,,,,I do understand what you are saying and why.

Frankie, I wouldn't even consider selling that mare for $1,500!!! Here are my thoughts on it, from my own perspective:

If I paid $4,000 for a mare with someone else's name on it, I want a show horse, so her foals would possibly be worth more money. I would use the mare for breeding and not show her. What would the advantage be to me showing her if she's already won titles and my farm name isn't on her? She would be strictly a brood mare. With that in mind, considering her young age, she can conceivably put anywhere up to perhaps 15, 16, or even a few more, foals on the ground, and each one would be worth, at the very LEAST, $1,500, and if bred to the right stallion, much more. I would recoup my initial investment of $4,000 in perhaps two years. THAT'S what I would think of in buying a mare priced at $4,000 with a good show record.

On the other hand, I wouldn't pay that much for a mare who wasn't AMHR/AMHA. I want all my foals double registered and PQ'd. But that's just my personal feelings. Also, I am sticking with the A minis.

That mare is gorgeous, and I don't think you should let her go for a penny under $3,500, and if you stick to your guns at $4,000, some smart person is going to realize that she has the ability to put some pretty awesome foals on the ground, and be a potential money-maker for them. Just because she's got a good show record, her foals should be worth more money!

Around here, I would think a mare like her would go for around $2500, but then again, I don't buy R only, nor do I buy those that are over at this point but if I was, I would buy that mare. I like her a lot, always have.

Just a sad fact around here that R horses aren't bringing very much (IME, others may feel differently), but then again, not getting very much for any horses it seems.

I think if you wait long enough, you may well find someone to pay that price and if you feel she is worth it, then hang in there, the right situation will come along.

Liz

You know it's funny, I have seen so many folks write that "R" horses aren't bringing much, but...my goodness :new_shocked: the difference between what they have the capability of bringing these days as to what they were sold for, say, in the early 90's is tremendous
default_yes.gif
:

This little mare of yours is positively beautiful
default_yes.gif
: a real quality mare. I do understand the AMHA/AMHR sentiment as I tend to lean that way too. But quality is quality
default_yes.gif
:

I would say not a penny under $3500 and as others have said... the right person would happily pay 4,000.

Lovely mare
default_wub.png
:

LOL I agree with you anyone who is sure of the fact that R only horses bring in way less then A only horses well even a look at the saleboard will say different.

I know of several horses not a few but several tons of them that sell for 4000-6500+ R only no problem throw in ASPC papers as well and can go even higher

I think she's gorgeous, definitely worth the $$. "R" isn't a bad word around these parts... :bgrin I personally prefer R horses.

But the thought occurred to me: perhaps it's "one of those people" who buy low and turn around and resell her much higher....

Lucy

Sorry, but I can sell a horse for $1500 and this is just a plain-jane-never-been-shown horse. geesh

I'd be insulted and hurt if someone offered me $1500 for a horse I had advertised for $4000. Did you say OBO?

I think she is worth well over $1500. I don't have $4000... but I love her!!

Carolyn, I think 1500 is absolutely too low for her. That said I myself wouldn't pay 4000 unless she were double registered with exposure in both. Like Lyn I am not saying anything deragatory but we've never sold one of our horses on the sales board here. We get the prices we ask but they are from our advertising in other places and working the net. I seems we don't attract a lot of the higher end show people here. There are a lot of buyers out there that would never get the chance to see her only listed here. I'm thinking 2800 to 3000 for her. If your not in a hurry you can wait til that right buyer comes along. I've had to sit on a beautiful filly before for a year before her new owner found her! LOL

Boy Carolyn, you like to ask the tough questions!

Sophie is beautiful and has the titles to go with it. If I was breeding B size R horses (I have them but don't breed specifically for B size), she would definitely be worth a look as far as a broodmare goes. So the price is not out of line for her breeding, show record, etc. in fact she would be more expensive at some other places I've been to.

Different parts of the country have different markets/wants - it's hard to sell an R only B size mare regardless of quality for that much out here, you can, but it takes networking, and probably selling out of the area. I've never sold a B size mare, yet for more than $1500, but then again I don't market specifically for that, and do have a few that won't be leaving here for that price.

Good luck in finding her a great home!

It has been said before and I will say it again. A horse (or any other object or product) is worth what two people (one with the product and the other with the money) agree that it is worth.
[SIZE=12pt]Wow - took the words right out of my mouth. I have a friend that was "scolded" for paying a certain price for a 'gelding' - but he was worth that price to her because it's what she wanted.[/SIZE]

I absolutely love her and would buy her in a minute at the price she is listed at - if I weren't over populated already. I have several R only horses and I love them. I used to insist on AMHA registration, but not anymore.....just doesn't mean as much to me as it used to. And I've found that the larger horse wins 90% of the time in the show ring.

The rules clearly state that the smallest, most conformationally correct horses will win, (all things considered equal) but I've seen them overlooked time and time again for a taller, leggier horse.

She's beautiful - don't sell her short....$1500 is way too low.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back