Horse flipped over backwards.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverDollar

Reaction score
Ugh...these little fellows have been wild since they were body clipped. We have a local show tomorrow--first one for me with the minis (but it's not just for minis)--and had just finished bathing Silver (my 5 yr. old). When he got back in the stall with Billy they went at it playing, as usual. However, after nipping at each other they both reared up really high and Billy flipped over backwards and I heard him/saw him hit the wall (wood). I think his barrel feeder kind of broke his fall.
default_wacko.png
I saw the whole thing so I know kind of how he fell, just couldn't see exactly what he hit with what part of his body.

He got up and was obviously a bit shaken. I noticed that his muscles were in a spasm in his right hind end and he kept looking back there. After about 10 minutes he wasn't really gimpy but still a bit shaken. I called the vet to know what to look for if there was any serious damage and she told me what to watch for. She said that if there's any damage it will manifest over the next 12 hours and to keep him quiet. She also said to give him a little banamine because he will most likely be sore the next couple of days.

I know of big horses that have flipped over and they had some serious injuries. Has anyone else had this happen?

(I guess they really didn't want to go to the show tomorrow!
default_rolleyes.gif
)

I don't have any experience with this, but I wanted to tell you that I hope your little guy is ok. Sounds very scarey
default_unsure.png

I have two boys that love to play and rear up regularly when doing so. In the past month, one has flipped upside down twice after going up high. One time landing very hard. I was very surprised and how quickly he got back up. He stood there for a moment almost trying to figure out what had just happened. Within 30 minutes they were back playing again. As long as isn't favoring any legs or being gimpy, I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies. Debd, I'm 99% sure he's fine but it really unnerved me. They always do play hard but I saw this one and it was loud. From my observations these little guys are pretty resilient. Can you tell I don't have kids?
default_unsure.png

Brandi, thanks for your good wishes. I appreciate it.

I had a gelding flip over 4 or 5 years ago - he was by himself and I still don't know why he went over, but I walked in the barn just in time to see him rear straight up and go over backwards. He landed on his back, and did have some weakness for a good while. I sold him a few years later - not guaranteeing him sound because of the fall - and he's made an awesome driving horse but he still does seem tender in his back at times. Sounds like your guy may have fallen a bit easier if he had something to break his fall. I agree, you should be able to tell pretty quick if he's sustained any damage. Hope he's okay.

Jan

Latest posts

Back