Horse feed Manna Pro Products recalled

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Just in case someone uses or knows someone.

Manna Pro Issues Feed Recall
default_no.gif

by: Pat Raia

January 31 2011, Article # 17670

Print Email Add to Favorites ShareThis

Horse feed manufacturer Manna Pro Products LLC has voluntarily recalled one of its horse feed products distributed in California, Nevada, and Oregon because it might contain potentially harmful levels of monensin sodium (trade name Rumensin). According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, monensin sodium is a medication approved for use in some livestock and poultry species, but it can be fatal to horses if fed at sufficiently high levels. The medication is used to increase feed performance in beef and dairy cattle, said Manna Pro Products spokesman Rob McCoy, PhD.

McCoy said that on Jan. 28 the company voluntarily recalled a single lot of Family Farm Complete Horse 10 horse feed packaged in 40 lb. bags. The product was distributed to retailers in California, Nevada, and Oregon between Jan. 11 and Jan. 21. No other Manna Pro or Family Farm products and no other lots of Complete Horse 10 are involved in the recall.

Owners can identify bags of the recalled product by the lot number 1006 appearing on the tag below the bar code and the code "MADE 010611 W" printed on the white strip sewn across the bottom of the bag. Retailers have removed the affected product from their shelves.

Phew! I feed Manna Pro treats so was concerned for a minute there but it looks like we'll be fine. Thank God!

Leia

Oh my gosh, I just posted this on the mini thread, but you have given much more detail. I guess it won't hurt to have it posted in two places as it is so important to know.

Back