Horse Euthanasia clinic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read about this on another website, too. It is sad, but also probably a blessing for many horses whose alternatives are far bleaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY sad, but I think it is a good idea. Might save some poor horses a long trip to a bad end in Mexico.

Yes it is sad.......but it's becoming necessary.
default_sad.png

I have to ask: What do they do with the carcass? Cremation? Burial? (which I heard isn't allowed just anywhere.) Low cost euthanasia is okay... then what?

I have to ask: What do they do with the carcass? Cremation? Burial? (which I heard isn't allowed just anywhere.) Low cost euthanasia is okay... then what?

That's a good question, I'm sure they have something worked out - maybe I'll contact them and see, or maybe it's somewhere on the website and I didn't catch it.

I know here - the euthanasia is over $100 - and then cost to have the body removed is between $400-$500! I found a farmer with a lot of land willing to bury mine for much, much less.

We are fortunate here to have a ommercial ccomposting company nearby (fee-$100.00 adult mini/$25.00 foal) that composts the remains
default_sad.png
It's always heartbreaking to lose a horse, but I can think of them as benefiting the earth again, that helps...a little...

Rendering is cheapest and most common. I prefer cremation or burial... but burial isn't legal in many areas, and full cremation can cost $1500.

Most rendering places in our area won't take a horse, not sure why. I know they don't want animals that have been euth'd with drugs but not all horses are euth'd, some die of natural causes, some are shot, etc.

They might be taking them to a landfill. Our area no longer has a rendering plant nearby, so big animals that can't be buried on the property have to go to the animal pit at the landfill. Might seem a little yucky, but I feel once the animal is dead it is just a body. That being said, I paid the vet to dispose of the body as I did not want the last visual memory of my mare being her body dumped in the landfill, and I KNOW that is what would have stuck with me! I said my goodbyes and went in the house!

We have a funeral home that cremates pets. They allowed us to bring one of our miniatures that passed away a few years ago. I think it was around $150.

There is a rendering plant about an hour away that does take horses.

Latest posts

Back