horse clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
hi what brand of clippers does every one use

whats the best

default_saludando.gif
hi what brand of clippers does every one use

whats the best

Definitely Double K for body, I have the 12' cable and love it. I also have a set of Osters (A5)that have served me well for almost 30 years now, and recently bought a set of Whal cordless, that seem to be doing a nice job for quick touch-ups around muzzle and ears.

I also love my Double K's! I like my Andis AGC (ACG?) Super Two Speeds also especially for faces.

I also love my Double K's! I like my Andis AGC (ACG?) Super Two Speeds also especially for faces.

This is the combination I have also. One Double K and 4 Andis because we sometimes have up to 3 people clipping at the same time. My husband has a big set of Sunbeams that we sometimes use for first spring clipping. In spring we clip up to 30 horses.

I use the Andis Super AGR + cordless clippers with ceramic blades. Works well for me. I do not show. These clip very nicely for me

default_saludando.gif

(I use them on my dogs too and even doing the sensitive skin on a chinese crested, never have had clipper burn ...knock on wood, blades seem to stay sharp a very long time.)

PS, if you use wd-40 rather than clipper oil, I swear they stay sharper longer. tip somebody told me a while back and I agree.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
default_saludando.gif
thanks for replying,,ive got a pear of sumbeams really big ones and there great for doing the

body and ive bought lots of smaller clippers but thay dont seem to last very long

can i get the double K clippers in australia as ive never heard of them, but would

thay work in australia as our power is different

cheers jenny

If your going to show miniatures or ponies, you need double k's. Believe me. Now, I also have wahl arco clippers which have an adjustable blade and are not loud at all and cordless and lightweight and they are good for ears, face ext.

I'll be the opposite and say I was never real happy with the Double Ks, I probably liked the sander over the actual clippers. I've been real happy with my Wahl Storm II clippers. Used them for the first time this year and used them all show season and all but 1 Wahl blade stayed sharp all show season, 1 did get dull at Nationals. First time I've used Wahl blades as well and I've been much happier with Wahl over the Oster. Never used Andis before.

The best clippers i've had for face, ears, and legs have been the clipper I 'borrowed' from my boyfriend. They are $20 at any wal-mart and are quiet, small, and last a LONG time! I seriously don't know why more people don't use them. So much cheaper, last so much longer. And the blades are adjustable too.

For the body I am an Osters fan. Not as big as the Double K's but they stay cool a long time and I have clipped up to 20 horses in 1 day with my 30+ yr old clipper. It is still going strong and I used it to clip my show horses this past year. Will be a sad day when it 'dies'!

I have double K's, and while they do cut like a hot knife through butter, I find them akward to use because of how heavy the cord is, they arent a very balanced clipper. I have carpal tunnel, so they arent comfortable for me to use. Mine also DO get hot. The first horses they are find, but on the second horse, my blades get hot just as quick as my old oster a5's that I used for legs and faces. Im considering getting a pair of laubes, but kind of scared to shell out big money on clippers again in case im not happy with them.

As a dog groomer......I use and like the Andis clippers, as they do not get hot (the clipper body) like the Osters do. I use them on a daily basis with some pretty heavy (and dirty coats at times) and they've been great. The blades will heat up (like most do). Just have several blades to switch out, or use your Kool lube when they do. Hot blades will cause clipper burn, especially sensitive skin (like face). Have never used the Double K or Laube. And in general, a big difference between the $20 clippers and the $150-200 range clippers...as far as holding up and lasting over long periods of time. Although I do have a cheap pair, I've used for years on horse ears that are pretty quiet. And sometimes it's hard to find someone to sharpen blades or work on the $20 clippers....in our area, at least. Just my opinion on clippers.

The $20 clipper I bought that was made specifically for horses were horrible. Didn't last me one horse. The $20 clippers made for people (my boyfriend uses them to shave his head) are fantastic. Don't shell out the $100-200 for clippers that do the same thing as the ones from Wal-Mart. I believe they're just Wahls and you can buy/sharpen the blades anywhere. I am just sad I didn't figure it out before this past year. Would have saved me a lot of time and money.

I clip all of my horses damp and stop often to spray them quickly with the hose to keep them wet, this helps to keep the blades cool. Because yes, the double K's get hot quickly...mine in just a matter of minutes and I normally clip at a medium speed. Also to help with the weight of the cord, I normally "tuck" it under my arm and that helps and leave just enough length for the area I am clipping at.

I use Double K for the body's, you can use them on a just washed, wet horse, no problem. I used to groom dogs for a living, started out using oster, you need to replace the brushes often, so I switched to andis when they came out, love them, I use them on faces and legs. I have arthritis and the andis are easier to hold and clip with. Ditto on using WD 40 it works great on keeping your blades lubed. I've used the small clippers for the inside of ears and they do great, such as the oster small, cheap kind but they don't last for many years and need to be replaced, but are great for us older folks. If I could afford them I would like to buy a set of rechargable, no cord needed, just for touch ups at shows. As for you having a different electrical, double K if you can contact them will fix that problem for you, do you have 220? I'm sure they will accomadate you.

I have double K's, and while they do cut like a hot knife through butter, I find them akward to use because of how heavy the cord is, they arent a very balanced clipper. I have carpal tunnel, so they arent comfortable for me to use. Mine also DO get hot. The first horses they are find, but on the second horse, my blades get hot just as quick as my old oster a5's that I used for legs and faces. Im considering getting a pair of laubes, but kind of scared to shell out big money on clippers again in case im not happy with them.
I have pinched nerves in my neck, and my right arm/hand are weaker as a result; sometimes that hand just doesn't work. What I have found to work with my DK's is to hang them high, with a pully affair, so they can easily be raised and lowered to change speeds. This keeps the weight of the cable off of my hand. This might work for you as well. The reason I bought them is because of the pain in my hand, as there is very little vibration.

I have my Double Ks and they work great. I bought them used 2 years ago and have definitely gotten my use out of them. I, however, still love my Oster A5s for the face and legs.

Forgot to mention, I do clip wet. I bath, cover them in show sheen, and clip. If they start drying out, I just hose them back down. Will have to try hanging them higher, that very well may work!

Latest posts

Back