Horse Books

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love books. I used to have a pony named Doodles (best pony EVER) and I once found an book (1977, not old) about a pony named "Doodlebug" at a flea market.
It looks like your book has nice illustrations. My "Doodlebug" book has nice ones, but the pony does not look a thing like my Doodles did, but instead looks a lot like Peanut!
I found a fairly old copy of Black Beauty at the same place a year or so later.
I hope "Dapples" had a nice ending, not sad.

Red Pony--isn't that Steinbeck? I cannot stand his books. Haven't touched one since I read the Grapes of Wrath as a teen.
Have you read Job 39:19-25? The Dapple book mentioned it at a funeral for an old, well-loved circus horse.

Yes, it is Steinbeck. I feel the same way as you do about him. My mom does, too. When I was a kid I was very sensitive and would get so upset by certain stories. I did well with the "Black Stallion" type novels. No violence.
I am not familiar with the Job verse. I will look it up.

That's really neat about finding that book. What do you think about Black Beauty? I know it's a full size horse and became a famous movie due to young Liz Taylor, but it's neat.

Are there are any other good books you can recommend?

Think Liz was in National Velvet with the horse Pi.
If one loves dogs never read books by Terhune, trauma city when I was a kid. Cannot watch any movie about Black Beauty. Secretariat is the only horse movie I can watch, he is my favorite horse of the past. Early westerns and treatment of the horses are troublesome to me as well.

I don't mind Terhune's dog books, but I didn't discover them until I was grown.
Hard to watch westerns on tv now and see those bits they use. Notice how the horses all throw their heads up in the hair when the riders stop? I never knew any better until I started driving and understanding how bits work.
Marguerite Henry writes some good horse books, but don't read King of the Wind.

I loved King of the Wind, the story of the Godolphin Arabian; don't know how much artistic license was taken with the story, but the Godolphin Arabian is real horse and one of three founding sires of modern TBs. Yes, it had some sad in it, but also fascinating information.

We watched "The Littlest Horse Thieves" on TCM. It is a Disney movie from the 60's set in Yorkshire. The pit ponies are being replaced by machinery in the coal mines in 1906. Love those old Disney movies. I like seeing the horse drawn vehicles, too, the way they are harnessed. The ending is bittersweet.

Latest posts

Back