Horse Behavior Mystery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
Who knows what demons lurk in the minds of horses? The Shadow knows! (Unfortunately, he ain't tellin!)

First, a little background. I have a friend who has been bitten by the horse-trading bug. Since the people she hangs with/sells to are mostly the hunter/jumper crowd, most of the horses she gets are acquired with that sort of thing in mind. She has had a great variety of horses, but one she has now is a doozy! She has an 18-year old QH mare, a Paint gelding, and a 13-or-so-hand TB/Welsh cross. The Welsh is the problem. The other horses are in the pasture, but she doesn't get along with them, so she is in the backyard. My friend has been feeding her by dumping a scoop of sweetfeed on a concrete pad near the garage, the other two are fed in the pasture and barn. She is really exaspirated with this Welsh mare. She got her from another horse trader. "He said, 'She thinks she's too good for you. If you try to do anything with her, she's like "How DARE you??!"' He was so right! I have had it with her! Do what I've been doing , put her in the stall, I don't care, whatever works for you," is what she told me. She blames it on the TB blood in her.

Anyway, my friend is out of town, so I'm looking after her horses for her. The problem with the feeding arrangement, is that the feed/tackroom is a shed in the backyard. When I go to feed them. this horse is right outside the door. All horses get wound up at feeding time, but this girl is wild! She's dancing around, snorting, pawing, trying to come in and help, you get the picture. Walking across the yard, she's jumping around, tossing her head, I keep expecting her to knock the feed out of my hands or knock me down.

At first, I only had them for a couple of days, so I put up with the nonsense, just using verbal repremands and body language to keep her off me. But then my friend called again, she's gone for another week. I decided it wasn't good for either me or the horse for mealtimes to be so stressful, we need a bit more control in this situation. So, I put her in the stall.

The first morning I put her in there, she seemed a little surprised, but came right along. I had to position myself carefully in the doorway to keep her from coming out while I closed the door. As soon as she was through eating, I let her out, and she went out like a rocket!

That evening, she managed to squirt out of the stall before I could get the door closed. Now, she won't let me catch her. She ran along the fence, I raised my hand, she reversed, I think "What the?" because here I am, free lunging her around the backyard! After a couple of minutes, I get her to stop in a corner, she lets me take hold of her halter, put her back in the stall, block her from another escape, feed her, let her out.

The next morning, she's practically in my pocket. The next evening, she comes trotting up to see me, takes one sniff of my hand, and won't let me touch her!

Now, I've always heard, that when you start to catch a horse, you must catch that horse, no matter how long it takes. I tried to approach "softly," but she just ran away. So I said, "All right, horse. You want to run? Lets run!" and waved my hand. She was off!

She ran in circles around me until I was dizzy. So I reversed her and she ran the other way. I kid you not, I free lunged that horse around that yard for more than thirty minutes. I could push her, turn her, stop her, but I could not get her to come to me, nor stand still long enough to let me catch her. Every time I tried to approach her, she turned away and moved off.

At first, the other two horses stood by the fence and watched. She kept trying to "hide" with them, but the QH reached across the fence and bit at her. Sometimes she ran behind the garage, but she couldn't see any of us back there, and she always came out faster than she went in.

Finally, she went into a corner, and barely managed to stand still while I stroked her shoulder and then took her by the halter and led her to the stall, where I shut her in and fed her. She was dripping with sweat, and I hated not cooling her out first, but I wanted her to see that I really only wanted to feed her.

Next morning, she's in my pocket again. She jumped a little when I took hold of her halter, but went into the stall easily enough. Antsy as all get-out to leave, as usual.

Last night, she won't let me catch her again. Frankly, I wasn't up to chasing her around, so I only made a half-hearted attempt to walk her down. When she tried to lead me on another chase, I turned my back and went into the feed room. I closed the door (no lights, so I was working almost by touch.) I could hear her, nickering and pawing outside the door. I came out as loud and fierce as I could be, carrying feed only for the other two. She got to watch them eat their dinners, but didn't get hers! I gave her chance after chance to let me catch her. She followed me like a dog as I carried empty feeders, filled water buckets, did all the usual things, but would not let me touch her! I finally put some hay out for her, and left.

This morning, she wants to play "catch me if you can" again. Several times she started the circling business, but I refused to hook up. As soon as she starts running, I do a 180 and walk off. When she stops, I try to approach, keeping it soft and light, but will not follow when she runs away. After a few minutes, I feed the others, being merely firm rather than fierce to keep her at bay. Finally I put some hay in the stall. She goes in to eat it, but "escapes!" when I get close to the door. I walk away, and she goes in again. I walk up to the door, she starts to leave, I step in the way and she jerks to a halt, but stands as I close the door and go to get her breakfast. When she's done, she goes back to the hay. I open the door, she walks out and heads for the water tank. I went and sat on the garage steps. She walks right over to me, does a deep breath of my hand and knee. I fished a piece of carrot out of my pocket and put it on the step. "Yes, it's for you. I'm not particularly interested in it." She ate it, and let me pet her nose.

So what gives? She doesn't want to be "trapped" in the stall, I got that much. I don't buy the arrogance thing, she's a beauty, but I just don't get that impression. It isn't just a game, she isn't having much fun with this. I believe animals do things for a reason; why would she prefer to be run into a dripping sweat rather than just get handled such a little bit?

My friend is determined to get rid of her as quickly as she can, so I probably only have a few more days with her, but I can't resist a puzzle. Anybody got any ideas what might be going on with her?

I forgot to mention, her feet are kind of long, and there are ridges near the toes on all four. Could she have foundered, and perhaps been upset by the treatment? She "seems" sound enough now.

For sure I would get her off the sweet feed. I swear it turns horses into crack adicts LOL. Id switch her slowly but Id get her off of it. Then I would start at step one teaching her ground manners all over again. From basic haltering and leading on up. I would not put her out in a big area until her manners were better. Its worked on a ton of horses here but it takes time and patientce

Reading your message in my own language I got confused. I can't imagine what this horse must be thinking. She's been raised and traded, handled in countless ways by countless people, and she's still not in a place where she's wanted. She's likely to be sold and traded again. I have no doubt that she is as confused or more so than I am reading about her life. Who knows what has happened to this horse in the past and she's still gambling every day for the future. At the very least, I believe all she's ever recieved from anyone has been mixed signals about everything, even eating.

She is acting exactly as she should!

One thing you need to keep in mind is that Thoroughbreds tend to be Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde - Even though she is "half" TB.

She should be worked with on being caught some time OTHER then feed time. Feeding time is always exciting and confusing.

You also need to make sure your not feeling mad, angry, upset, confused, scared etc... When working with her. The slightest thought shows threw in your actions and for some reason all of the Thoroughbreds and half Thoroughbreds I've ever had know it and play off it.

For example, My friend was attempting to catch our Thoroughbred who likes to play 'catch me if you can' but only on Wednesdays and Fridays (Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde) he got loose and she was very mad. Of course he wouldn't let her catch him at this point so I said lets take the rest of the horses in the barn, he'll walk over. She went to get my 3 year old QH/TB cross. She made no mean actions but he sensed her anger and frustration, when she went to grab his halter he bit at her, ran around her in circles kicking, then took off. Her first instinct was to chase him down and beat him for that big No No but I stopped her and said "Walk away, he'll win that fight" I went right over to get him, called him up and he followed me into the barn.

I've found when working with him any time hes acted up its been my fault. If I'm happy and comfortable, so is he. If I'm frustrated, so is he.

This mare sounds like she has trust issues, Having come from a trader to another trader she can very well pick up on this and why would she trust? She is also secluded from the rest of the herd which makes her left out whether she 'gets along with them' or not, shes a horse, shes not where she wants to be.

I wouldn't expect any different - Horse traders mess up horses. Years of the wrong confusing people 'teaching' the wrong thing does that.

She just needs to time, love and a real trainer.

Last edited:
I agree with Nicole. She's had so many people handle her that she's learned to react and see what she can get away with. Kay is also right........the sweet feed doesn't help either.

She feels like a diamond in the rough. She wants to please and be loved, but no one has taken the time to show her what her boundaries are and what rules to work with. Sadly, you aren't going to be with her long enough to establish some good ones. It sounds as if you would, too.

It's reassuring to see so many opinions that resonate with what I've been thinking. New_Image, I know just what you mean about psychic horses. My mini mule is like that. Whatever my frame of mind is, she channels it - in spades!

After my first couple of encounters with this horse, I told my husband, "I think she's a real Dr. Pepper (so misunderstood.) It may be presumptuous of me to disagree with people who have way more horse experience than I, but I just don't get "how dare you." I'm not a "horse whisperer," or an "animal communicator," anything like that, but what I'm reading is insecurity. She reminds me of Cisco." (Cisco was a German Shepherd cross that we owned years ago. Very nervous, very impulsive dog, always overreacted to everything. It was like "Dog, just CHILL!" working with him.
default_wacko.png
)

Now, my husband knows even less about horse training than I do (and that's hard to do, I didn't even own one until I got my mini mule last year,) but I thought his response was spot-on. He gave a wry chuckle and said, "Gee, I wonder why that would be? How many barns do you suppose she's been through before this one? Like any insecure animal, what she needs is consistancy."

Anyway, to give you an update, the last couple of times I've been down to feed her, I went into the backyard, and she came to meet me. She's done the sniff and "no-I-don't-think-so" bit each time. I've just said "No touch? Okay," and gone to get some hay, which I put in the stall. This still has me carrying food past hungry horses, which I don't like to do (too tempting!) but let's face it, nobody gets that worked up about hay! This morning she actually followed me into the stall, and hardly reacted at all when I closed the door. After she finishes her feed, I open the door, and she has stood there, continuing to munch hay, while I go about my business, even walking near that open door. Not quite where I'd like things to be, but a quantum leap in the right direction!

I'm sure that with the right sort of handling, this could turn into a reliable horse. Sadly, I'm not the person to do it. I can't afford her (let's get real, I can't even afford to feed her,) and I'm too inexperienced to be the kind of trainer she needs. All I can do is give her the best possible care, while she is in my care, and pray that the right one does come along, soon.

Bunnylady, When her current owner gets back, I hope you have the chance to visit with her about what you've learned about the horse. Perhaps she will continue the process and also discover that all the horse needs is "consistency", as your husband stated.

Bunnylady, When her current owner gets back, I hope you have the chance to visit with her about what you've learned about the horse. Perhaps she will continue the process and also discover that all the horse needs is "consistency", as your husband stated.
Oh, yes! I don't remember precisely when she said she'll be back, so that gives me an excuse to call and talk about the horses. . . .Perhaps the greatest service I can render this horse, is to be her advocate.

Back