Horse behaivor question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
Ok, so for like the last week or more Polly has been very very very aggressive. I do know that Polly was in heat but Im not sure weather she still is I dont think she still is, but right now im living in fear of my own horse
default_new_shocked.gif
latley when you walk out in the paddock ive been petting and talking to her and all of a sudden she just spins around and kicks also there was one instance when she almost kicked me in the face she also charges the fence when you walk by... im worried about mysaftey, others saftey, and both her and Little Titans saftey. I do have two ideas as to why she is acting this way. Im thinking that because our paddock is very small and it does not offer much room. Right now were putting a large paddock for them. Also, we built a second stall for Little Titan due to the fact Polly would steal his food when he needs it more then her (the grain because Little Titan is still growing) it would take so long to feed so we thought that it would be best but since we seperated them I beleive thats when Polly started this

If you have any suggestiong or ideas could you please tell me im desperate

While space restrictions can be playing a role in her behavior, I was wondering, do you have them seperated all the time or just at meal time?

If it is all the time, she could be frustrated about not having a horse to interact with. Horses are very sociable animals and like to interact and have personal contact when possible. The other thing is, she could just be trying to test you and may be trying to prove she is the head mare. Regardless of paddock size (don't get me wrong, if the paddock is itty bitty, it needs to be made larger to accomodate them, which you are doing) the behavior needs to be corrected. You need to be the alpha mare, this behavior will just continue, regardless of the paddock size. It sounds like she is just peeved because you are in her personal space, if that is the case,she needs to learn to get over it and that you are in charge.

Carolyn

Last edited by a moderator:
they are only seperated at night and at feeding but are turned out during the day toghethor

thanks for the advice its seems to be that the confident and assertive approch works best.

although their stalls are seperrated, they can look over and see and smell each other because their right next to each other

While space restrictions can be playing a role in her behavior, I was wondering,m do you have them seperated all the time or just at meal time?

If it is all the time, she could be frustrated about not having a horse to interact with. Horses are very sociable animals and like to interact and have personal contact when possible. The other thing is, she could just be trying to test you and may be trying to prove she is the head mare. Regardless of paddock size (don't get me wrong, if the paddock is itty bitty, it needs to be made larger to accomodate them, which you are doing) the behavior needs to be corrected. You need to be the alpha mare, this behavior will just continue, regardless of the paddock size. It sounds like she is just peeved because you are in her personal space, if that is the case,she needs to learn to get over it and that you are in charge.

Carolyn

It's hard to say what she's doing without seeing her in action. How much exercise does she get? Maybe she's simply feeling frisky, bored and/or cooped up. I would check her over for pains, then if everything seems okay I would start lunging her for five minutes a day, or up the time or intensity she is lunging already. That'd be a good, safe way to remind her to move out of your space if needed. Another alternative would be a nice, long walk. I took my gelding out for five miles again yesterday and he loved it.

the only time i ever had this problem was when i boarded my gelding. i did not know that the neighborhood kids were feeding him treats on their way to school. nor did i know the owner of the house went out every day and gave him leftover breakfast toast smeared with jelly.

when *I* walked out there and didn't have a treat for him, only a halter, i was met with a tazmanian devil, bared teeth, ears pasted flat, hooves flying. it took me a long time to get him over that behavior and i was glad when i got him moved to a more isolated pasture!

Titan si her foal, and i also think she feelin frisky and i think shes board but once we get our big paddock up im goin out there witha lunge swhip and doin some free lunging for exercise
default_yes.gif
thanks for all your help

-Dan

Titan is a year and 4 monthes (idk the monthes old) and from what I beleive he was but he does still try to nurse crazy horse
default_rolleyes.gif

You need to TOTALLY separate Titan from his mom.........out of sight and mind!

Take her out and away and give her something to do! Take her for walks, if you don't have the space. But they need to be apart permanently. Titan is driving her CRAZY.

Dan,

When you got Polly and Titan I realize that they were probabally weaned, then put back to gether afterwards? Or when they got to your place?

Besides the point you need to get those 2 completely separated, out of sight! That once in a while drink that Titan is taking it absolutely draining her of all of her food. It was hard enough for Polly to feed him when he was a few months, but now hes a yearling, at his peak of maturity/growing.

Best of Luck,

Alex
default_smile.png

You need to TOTALLY separate Titan from his mom.........out of sight and mind!

Take her out and away and give her something to do! Take her for walks, if you don't have the space. But they need to be apart permanently. Titan is driving her CRAZY.

I also agree with everyone else. You need to separate them. If you can't get them out of sight and ear shot then just make sure they have a good fence between them so the colt can't get its head through it and still nurse.

As for your mares attitude it probably is a combination of things. Still having her colt nurse on her and her trying to show you she is alpha mare are some things that could be happening.

Do not let her get away with this behavior. It is dangerous and as long as she gets away with it she will get worse. I realize you have small pens but no horse should EVER threaten a person. Imagine if this was a full size horse what kind of danger you would be in. I did have a full size horse that did go through something like this once. She did not have a foal or even a buddy she was attached to.

When she developed this bad attitude, our pens surrounded the barn. We had to walk through the pen to get to the barn. Well this mare would wait until you half way through and then she would charge. Ears flat back and at a dead run. Most people would run and dive under the fence with her hot on their heels. Near the fence she would then stop strike out with both front feet, whirl around and strike out with both hind feet and then run off to the other end. I was the only fool that didn't run. I my legs just froze. As she bore down on me I would start yelling and waving my hands. She would stop about 5 feet from me and strike out with the front and then whirl around and strike out with the back, but she never touched me. Well I also never gave into her and showed fear of her. This lasted about 2 months and then she went back to her old self. But she did manage to rear up and kick my sister in the back when she was leading her once and she did mange to kick me in the chest with both hind feet when I lead her to her stall and would just let her go in. I had the wind knocked right out of me and hoof prints to prove it but I did proceed to go in the stall and just pound her neck and tell her she was naughty while I was gasping for breath. She stood there and looked at like what did I do???? But she knew she was bad. She never did that again and we became the best of friends.

When your mare does advance toward you in a threaten manner be sure to shout and wave your arms at her to let her know she is not in control.

If she does it when you go to feed her, take her food away until she is nice when you give it to her. You might have to try a few times about 5 minutes apart. But make sure she is facing you and does not have her ears back. If she is facing you and has her ears forward, you could let her have a bite before you hang it up and tell her she is a good girl. Never reward her if she is being bad.

When you try to teach her your boss you need to act like an alpha horse would.

Also if you know of any trainer in your area, it might help to get someone over there that knows horses so they can see what she is doing and help you get this straightened out.

Good luck.

well that would just be cruelty to seperate them and very very dangerous once i took Titan for a walk down the drive way and Polly almost went through the fence, and Little Titan does not get any milk but trust me i do not tell him not to Polly take care of that
default_smile.png
i have been showing Polly that im boss but she does not seem to like me particuarly she really only seems to like certain people like my dad so im not sure weather that comes into it and the only time when Polly charges me for feed is when i throw it over the fence into the paddock behind the barn and then she comes chargin down towards the fence normally i kick out and yell it seems to work. however ill probably never use it but my dad got me an electric cattle prod should i use it on her or should i justr smack and yell and wave at her and if i did it would only be if i was truley in danger so thanx for your advice

Has titan ever been weaned from her? Even if one freaks out, put them in paddocks with an adjoining fenceline.

My advice for you and polly, get her out every day and work with her. Teach her where your space is, if she comes in without permission, push her out. When she comes charging, DONT give her any food! When she stops and doesnt invade you, give her it. My guys know that when I have hay, they back up let me drop it, and then eat. Same w/ grain.

Ditch the prod.

I just read your post, Dan.

This needs to be handled swiftly in my opinion. A few times, one of my horses has kicked at me, or made like they were, and they probably feel like they just went to war (and lost) right after. 30-second rule. If a horse bites or kicks me, I am going to let them have it BIG TIME and immediately.

Now, I wouldn't declare a momentary war on a foal, but horses old enough to know better need to be handled firmly. There is no way to explain away kicking. No way to justify it because she was in heat, or she was in a bad mood, etc.

If I were you, I'd get a crop and I would actually try and tempt her to give me another kick (or even an attempt to do it) and would lay into her on her shoulder. The key is to reprimand immediately and firmly. A slap from your hands will not get the message across at all (no where near "firm" or "hard" enough.

Years ago, a forum member had her lip bit off. Not bit, but bit OFF by one of her horses. So, nipping, biting, kicking -- none of this is ever okay from a horse old enough to know better.

The good news is that with every horse I've had a similar issue with, we only get into it once or twice and they realize "Oh, you're not supposed to kick that two legged mare" and it's the end of it. I still love them, they still love me, no problem...

PS reading more of your thread and about Titan, who I take is her son? Yes, they need to be separated and even if he was weaned, if they were put back together too soon, that can be reversed physically and/or mentally.

But, my advice to handle her behavoir issues really firmly stands. She needs to know that you do not kick or bite people.

Jill do you mean to hit her or what and im planning on getting a crop and ill try as for seperating them i highly doubt my dad will allow me to put up another paddock becuase well um hes payin for it... but im alos planning on getting a lunge whip when we put up our big big paddock and go out there and chase them around a bit it should do them some good
default_yes.gif
ill try the crop though forst

If she were mine and she kicked me, or tried to kick me, I would hit her on the shoulder "real good" with the crop. Same if she tried to bite me. Anytime a horse tries to bite or kick me, I let them have it physically. It's not something that I've had to deal with often, but when it happens, it's taken care of quickly and it has to be. I don't normally carry a crop, of course, but if I have one I know may try it, I'll have the crop in hand. If I'm out and one kicks at me, I've been known to kick back or whatever it takes.

Like I said, it's not like I'm fighting the horses often, but any that came here with an issue get over that issue real fast when they see it's not acceptable. They all love me, run to me, but respect me. Even though they are "just minis" they can still hurt people by kicking and biting.

Good luck!

Well sometime Im going out to get to a crop and today she kicked me hard in my knee that old wench
default_rolleyes.gif
but i still love her dearly, but this is not the same horse I bougth and not the same horse that came her in June

Latest posts

Back