Hope Someone can help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintNminis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone I haven't been on here much lately, But I was wondering if I could get some advice I have a Two Year Old Filly and she has Chronic Diarrhea, It started when I sent her and her dam to an outside stallion they receieved Excellent Care. But I think Something must have made her Stomach Upset (Dam was very Protective) Feed got Changed up a Bit etc. not sure if that is the cause I thought we had it cured up but it came back with revenge. I have tried giving her Pepto as Reccommended by my Vet She has also had Probios etc. is there any kind of feed I could give her? anything I can do?

any Help you are willing to share is greatly appreciated

Thanks!!

You could try fast track or probios powder (instead of the probios paste). I think they work better. Also, has she been wormed? Just trying to think of possibilities. Does she have a trace mineral block? Another thing you could give would be Source Micronutrients.

Thanks for the Suggestions
default_smile.png
She has been wormed Every Two Months and has a Mineral Trace Block

Ive used biosponge with some success. However in one case nothing helped this one foal except diarrhea control gel sold through kv vwt supply. It worked wonders. If the foal gets too dehydrated have your vet administer iv fluids to perk her back up. It could be that the mare was stressed while at the stud farm and in turn her milk stressed her foal out. If it doesnt get better soon, have the vet out. If its getting all over her hindquarters try braiding up her tailv (if long enough) and covering her hind legs with petroleum jelly so the manure wont stick and make her hair fall out. Dealing with scours is no fun. Good luck.

If you can't find anything to help get rid of this soon, I'd pretty much assume she contacted a bug on the other farm and explore that further

Just to clarify--this is a 2 year old filly, not a foal. I think some are misreading that?

So--I am assuming that she was just a foal at the time she & her dam were sent out to the breeding farm?

So, this is not some new infection she has just picked up somewhere. This is a problem that started two years ago when she was just a baby, and since then has been chronic or recurring--and now recently has become worse than it had been for awhile?

I can't recall if ulcers will cause chronic diarrhea or not, but have you tried ulcer treatment for her. Sounds like it might have been very stressful for her at the time; perhaps low grade ulcers are at work, maybe not stomach ulcers but hind gut ulcers (I hear they are a bit harder to treat). I know its not cheap, but perhaps a month long course of Ulcerguard (OTC version of Gastroguard, the Ulcerguard is dosed lower as its preventative rather than for curing existing ulcers).

I had a stallion that I bought as a two year old who had that problem since a weanling.

Tried many products, only thing that worked was to offer him unlimited hay and no grain for three months. Instead of grain I gave him alfalfa pellets at feeding time to keep him happy.

After three months of letting his digestive system "reset" itself, I did some research and found some horses cannot tolerate high sugar or corn based grains which I believe was causing the issue. Ever since he got better I had him on alfalfa pellets, rolled oats and Purina Amplify supplement and he maintained weight very well.

Reactions: Tab
What Chandab said! I had a filly like several years ago. She never left the farm, so I know she didn't pick up a bug somewhere else. It started when she was a foal, and continued off and on till she was two. I tried everything anybody could think of and nothing worked for long. I finally started her on ulcer treatments because she had a mild case of colic. Cleared her right up and she never had another problem!

I would think that the filly contracted a bug of some sort while at the stud - going into a new place where, however good the care, she would not necessarily have the established immune protection of older horses or your mare. It could also be ulcers due to the stress of the change or even the journey (you didn't say how far they had to travel - did you transport them yourself?)

Was there a reason as to why you had to take the 2 y.o. to the stud with her dam - are they very attached to each other or did you have no-one left at home who could have kept the filly company while her dam was away?

Hope you find an answer soon and that she makes a full recovery.
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the Responses !
default_smile.png
She was Two Months old when I took her and her dam to the Stud Owner. and the Trip was only like a 3 Hour Drive so not too far. We hauled them up ourselves. Her Dam wasn't her normal Self, When up there, that time, (She was up there once before back in 2008) She is a Homebody, and her dam had the look of utter betrayal When we dropped them off
default_sad.png
& She wasn't entirely Happy to see us either When we came to Pick them up. "You Again?"

Her Dam has Since Forgiven Us, and the Filly is a Love Bug, and seems to be in Excellent Health Except for this little Problem I hope to Cure! But Now Thinking About it and with Some of your Answers I think she does have Ulcers that would Explain it I think

I will have to look into the Ulcer Stuff, and I really Greatly Appreciate all your help!
default_smile.png
Thank You Everyone!

Latest posts

Back