Hope my story helps someone, never give up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
April foaled Friday June 15, just before Midnight a colt. 3 weeks ago tomorrow.

Within 24 hours not eating. easy foaling, we did put old straw down and she was pigging out on that

and wondered if she ate something toxic in it. Vet did not think so. Thought something else with her delivery caused her problem, checked the placenta, and checked her uterus. All was OK

Vet was out three times, Saturday night, Sunday night and again that Monday.

we where not sure if she was going to make it. Temp 104

Vet thought toxins where going through her system.

also was given banamine for a few days.

She was on Iv for just about 3 days in our barn, and would not eat or drink

She tried everything to get the IV out so, after seeing her thrash and rolling and getting the IV lines tangled, I told my husband, I am taking the IV out she looked like she wanted to give up.,

I could not see her hurting herself this way.

April was on anti bio tics for 12 days, and had diarrhea like a water hose.,

Still not eating or drinking, we let her and the colt out on grass ate very little, and still syringing water into her.

She had a buffet of food in front of her, moist Alfafa cubes, mare and foal pellets, sweet feed, and

fresh cut hay from a neighbors pasture. Would sniff it and just stand there.

Also tried 911 paste, megs jug, and electrolyte paste, also on ulcer meds.

Well Thanks to Bonnie Fogg, she was the one that did not let me give up.

she is an amazing women.

April has lost so much weight, but still has a sparkle in her eyes.

Last time I talked to our Vet he said when I am ready, he would come out

and put her down.

Hubby also thought it must be time to let her go.

I remember everything Bonnie told me about her, and I knew she still wanted to live.

Finally a friend told me about New Cell injection once a day, for 5 days. and also found at our feed store Probiotics paste

Went to another neighbor and he gave me some loose alfalfa droppings from his race horse hay.

Well, shocked and amazed April has been eating the last 3 days, she at times does not take her head out of the bucket and now is starting to eat her mare and foal pellets, not drinking a lot so we still syringe water into her.

Aprils Temp is now 100.4 , poop is excellent and peeing great.

April has finally made the turn around and is a very special horse, I believe I can say she is going to make it..

Long days and nights, but worth every minute, once they start to show improvement.

Now it will be a long journey to get her weight back on but I believe she will make a full recovery.

Update on foal, thank goodness he did get colostrum from his mother the first 24 hours, had to bottle feed every two hours and is now on the bucket with Grobers equine milk replacer, and eating foal pellets. and eating some hay.

Told this story, so this might help someone else, do not give up on them.

Thanks for reading I am just so darn happy, and have been blessed..if you wish to say a little prayer for her and her colt, sure would not hurt..

Last edited by a moderator:
Continued prayer that she makes a full recovery!

It's true......NEVER give up!!!!!! (until the horse tells you) I'm so glad she's starting to eat again! I'll send her some prayers!

Yup, Bonnie is awesome!
default_yes.gif

Sending you hugs and lots of positive thoughts for a full and speedy recovery.

Best wishes Kavelbel always in my heart.........

Sending prayers for your special mare and her little one...that she continues to improve and all turns out perfect. Bless you for doing all you have for her.

Really good to hear about the happy results. Praying for continued recovery.

That sounds like colitis or PHF. My vet saved Willow by putting her on IV Oxytetracycline extremely quickly (I had him out within an hour of symptoms). This has been going around Ontario for a few years now (my vet has seen 15 vases already this Spring/Summer). He's only lost one so far. Willow was on the Oxytetracycline for 5 days, electrolytes, etc. And then developed ulcers. So she was on omeprazole for a month. She hasn't looked back since
default_smile.png
. Hang in there....

What is the New Cell injection? I am so glad to hear your horse is making a come back- sounds like it was a nightmare! They never figured out what was wrong?

Blessings to you and hubby for not giving up on her and for taking such good care of her.Bonnie is AMAZING.I have a very good friend who has always told me that your horse will let you know when they are ready to leave us here.Keep up the good work and many prayers are coming your way.

What is the New Cell injection? I am so glad to hear your horse is making a come back- sounds like it was a nightmare! They never figured out what was wrong?
1) New Cell is in aid in prevention and treatment of

anemia by increasing red blood cells and hemoglobin

2) deficiencies of nutrients contained in the formulation

No they could not come up with any reason and had 3 vets at the office trying to figure this out.

and thanks Matt for your information.. will read up on PHF

Thank you all for your reply's and prayers.

Went out today and got her some Omega Alpha Equine Anitiflam which will help with recovery and body aches, and strengthens ligaments and joints.

Also got a vitamin and enzyme supplement paste that are all natural.

Just trying to make her comfortable and hope it helps.

Bless you. You are a wonderful person for going beyond to pull her thru this. You didn't give up. Sometimes people give up too quick. God works miracles.... and this is a wonderful example.

Bless you, April, the colt and your family.

Latest posts

Back