Hoofs rolling under

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I have a question that I'm hoping to have answered by both those with farrier experience and by long-time breeders.

As I've scouted out replacements for Casper, I've been focusing on a particular sire line. While doing so, I've encountered more than one that have hooves that "roll under" when left too long between trims. In once case, too long is more than 4 weeks. The ones I've seen in person had smaller hooves, one was base wide.

My questions are:

1. Does the conformation flaw of base-wide contribute to this?
  2. Is it caused by length of time between trims?
  3. Is there a better/best way to trim to help limit this happening?
  4. Is it inheritable, and if so, pm me and I'll share the line I'm noticing it in and we can compare notes.
  5. Does size of hoof contribute to this happening?
I'm particulary interested in the heritability of this, as the animals I'm interested in are heavily linebred. I know some will say "stay away from that breeding", however, if I'm looking at sales ads, then checking a pedigree and finding a common denominator breeding wise...well, what does that say??

One example is a mare in WA that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. With me in NC, it's just not possible for me at this time to purchase her. As anyone who works the 30 year plan knows, if you can't afford what you like, look for those bred similarly. So began my interest in this particular line. Even when just browsing, the AMHA sized horses I prefer ALWAYS have at least one line to this breeding, often more.

As a fledgling trainer/breeder, I need to know how heritable this condition is. If it more of a genotype issue, and not phenotype, then I know to avoid heavily linebred horses of this breeding.

Thank you, experienced breeding gurus and farriers!
default_worshippy.gif
default_worshippy.gif
I very much appreciate the help

Julie

When you say "rolling over" do you mean the horn growth folding under as in slipper foot? This is a combination of genetics, conformation and environment. Being base wide will alter the natural wear of the horn and if the horse quickly grows excess horn flare (this is very common in thoroughbreds); and is a genetic factor then regular trims would be necessary to prevent it. I see many horses with sloping feet that grow long horn and have almost no heel, this trait is genetic as well and correlates to leg conformation. I level horses off inbetween trims to keep them straight. Putting the hoof on a stand and rasping the toe to correct the breakover will slowly help the problem. Allowing the horn to grow excessively long over time can mis shape the foot permanently and lead to permanent quarter cracks. Domestic horses hooves wear differently than their wild cousins and often develop traits like this as a result of a combination of genetic traits controlling conformation along with improper maintenance and poor contitions. In muddy soft footing the horn will grow under, fold or curl as opposed to grow out, crack or break off. If you find a horse you are fond of, be sure to correctly trim regularly and maintain the stable yard appropriately and you shouldn't have too many problems if not linebreeding the horse. I see many color breeds carrying the sloping hoof nowadays and if trimmed correctly they move fine. Driving horses should have a more upright build and it is important to keep the heels trimmed so as to avoid clubbing. This is what I commonly see in the pony breeds. Often these horses need trims more frequently than the standard 6-8 week schedule followed by many stables. If you work with a farrier to develop a treatment plan for the horse he/she can teach you to properly maintain the hooves inbetween visits and I find this makes a world of difference.

Biggest contributer: WEIGHT. That it why it is so much more common than in larger breeds. I have found that the more refined a horse is with those teeny hooves, of course it's going to roll if you don't trim more frequently. Of course, there are other bad hoof genetics that can contribute, but each horse is different and if I have to keep a horse trimmed more frequently for a sound hoof, that's OK, as long as it CAN have a sound hoof.

If the feet are rolling under (I am assuming you are talking about the heels?) I would either find another farrier or perhaps it's been longer than 4 weeks since they have been trimmed..? It's hard to tell without pics, as to what is going on.

I took it that you mean the one side of the hoof rolls under? I've seen a few horses do that. In some cases the hoof was neglected and when the hoof wears unevenly, one side can roll under while the other side flares out. However--neglect doesn't generally cause this on a horse that has good straight legs and hoofs. I have seen plenty of neglected feet that have never rolled under--many stay nice and straight even while they get too long and then break off. It could be caused by bad trimming, but often it isn't. I can't say that I have seen the problem in any particular line of horses--the few I have seen here and there have been of a variety of bloodlines.

Thank you all for the replies. I didn't post pics, as they aren't mine. It's not severe, yes it is excess growth/flares that folded under instead of breaking off, and yes they were chubbies.

I figured conformation was a larger part of this, and was curious about it's main causes. I'll be interested (in the one case) to see if he moves a little more correctly when he's not so fat. She has several bred like him on her place, but the others aren't such easy keepers. They're properly conformed in the hocks as well.

I was particularly interested because the Christmas present I want is of this breeding, and I need to keep these things in mind for him...oops...I mean "it"!!

Latest posts

Back