Quantcast

HOOF TRIMMING VIDEO

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

GAILS

Reaction score
Anyone know of a website with a video of how to trim hoofs on a mini?

Alex

Reaction score
Ok, Im not sure how expereinced in trimming you are, but if you are new I wouldnt rely on a video. you need a farrier or someone expereinced to actually show you how to do it. A video cant show you everything( well mabe).

If you are new I would find a farrier. That said Im sure there are some videos at Ozark that could help you a bit.

JourneysEnd

Reaction score
Don't know of a good video, but here's a good website.

http://www.barefoothorse.com/

If you're not show trimming (which is totally different in most cases ) the bare foot trim is the way to go. It's hard to hurt the horse with this trim. You may have to take a little more sole out of some minis, they don't always flake off like the big horses.

Good luck, feel free to ask questions on the forum.

JourneysEnd

Reaction score
Show trimming leaves more hoof on and a longer toe.

I've never seen a show horse with a rockered toe. AMHA rules state (or at least did the last I checked ) that a 45 degree angle is desirable for the front feet. I know, it's a little low for me too.

You would roll the toe in a driving horse, but never rocker. You want all the hoof your height classification can handle for movement. You would also take sole out to adjust height on a horse ( in that it allows you to remove more hoof wall ). In the average show horse (mini & classic shetland) you would trim the heels to the widest part of the frog and then adjust your lateral/medial balance to land flat.

Linda, got anything to add ?

barnbum

Reaction score
I have a video called "Natural Balance Hoof Trimming" with farrier Gene Ovnicek hosting and trimming. I love it! It shows everything you need to know--but I realize seeing and doing are two different things.

My husband watched it and was shown the ropes by our farrier. But he only rasps. The farrier still comes every 6-8 weeks to do younger horses and to check anyone else.

The website is www.hopeforsoundness.com

Good luck!

Farmhand

Reaction score
I have an article that Lori Rafter wrote. I tried to post it but got an error that there are "to many photo's" more then allowed. If someone want's the article I can email it to them. Just let me know.

Latest posts