Hoof trimming tools

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Those of you who do your own trimming please describe what you have found to be the best nippers and other tools. Any and all tips would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

I spent at least a decade watching good farriers trim my horses before attempting it myself, and was glad for the watching before attempting.

I know some use even cheaper tools, but they didn't work that well for me, so I've gone middle of the road. Some might find them a bit big for minis or if you have smaller hands, but I have Diamond 12" nippers (I think the number on them is FN12), Red Tang rasps, usually Diamond hoof knife, and that covers what I typically use. I do have a pair of 10" nippers, but don't know the brand or recall where I got them, they work decently, they are black in color.

I trimmed my horses hooves with nipper and rasp for years, recently switched to an electric hoof knife. It if like a small angle grinder for hooves. Love it. Saves my back and hooves are smoother.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use a nail nipper from Lowe's. They are small enough for my hands and works on all our minis and goats. They are a Kobalt brand and are not as expensive as true hoof nippers.

Thanks for your input. I have started paying more attention to what the farrier is doing and thought I might try to get handy at it. I know it will kill my back just like grooming them down low does (and weeding flower beds, ouuuuch). Would like to save money and be able to know what I am doing in case we ever live where there is not a reputable person in the proximity to make farm calls. I will continue to have my guy out to take care of my Sunny with the steel rods in her front legs. He does an awesome job working on a horse that cannot bend her legs. Lol. He does not mind coming over as long as he has at least 3 to trim. I could sure save some money by doing some of them. Right now everyone has had a good pedicure so this would be a good time to pick up a rasp every so often.

I've had horses for over 50 years and honestly would never attempt to trim my horses without going through a week or two of classes. Just my opinion, but I watch closely, have fired a few, worshipped a few...but would never do my own.

I like GE and Mustad nippers, which come in different lengths. Heller Legend and Heller G8 Legend rasps. FDick hoof knives.

I tried nippers from the hardware store, lowes, the blue ones. They are dull and cannot cut anything, nor reach any hoof wall. So after a ton of complaining, I've learned how to use the big ol 15in horse nippers. Minis had to learn to let me pull their feet out to the side a bit. Sometimes though, I need the leverage of the 15in handles, so glad I didn't shell out a ton on 10in mini nippers. They have quite hard feet!

I have some called foal nippers. They're made so I can use them with one hand and are the perfect size to use on minis
default_smile.png

I bought an electric hoof knife. Not sure how I like it. I love that I can operate it one handed. My horses don't care for it. Pepper stands great for it. Willow tolerates it but moves around much more than if I use nippers so trimming actually takes longer. Paxton hates, hates, hates it. No way I'm getting his feet trimmed with it.

If I was showing I would probably like it because you can really trim precise detail and get a very smooth edge. The slow precision is a pain if you just need a basic trim and have considerable hoof wall to trim.

I bought a pair of cheap diamond 10" nippers, $30. Love them. I actually wish them were shorter. Someone needs to make a 6" or 7" mini nipper. I looked at a 14" nipper, definitely would be poking them in the bellies.

I have some called foal nippers. They're made so I can use them with one hand and are the perfect size to use on minis
default_smile.png
Do they have a loop for your hand? What makes them usable with one hand? Can post a pic and brand please?

I use 10" nippers and a Bellota rasp. I've been trimming my minis and riding horses for 5 years. You'll want to do your research before you attempt it on your own. It's totally doable but you need to have some knowledge first. You can make life pretty hard for your horse if you go at it with zero know how.

barefoothorse.com and ironfreehoof.com

both are good places to start. Read, read, read before you ever pick up your nippers. You need to understand the anatomy, purpose, and function of the hoof very first.

Latest posts

Back