Hoof Stands

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniWrangler

Reaction score
I'd really like to make my own hoof stand to use when I'm trimming and such. Since I'm not exactly a pro at welding, I'm looking for some "alternative" ideas
laugh.gif
If you have made your own, please could you share how you did it/what you used. It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional (and safe of course!). Pictures would be helpful also if you had a couple handy. Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

I don't have a hoof stand, yet, so I'll be watching to see what is posted. I would like to make a hoof stand for my minis, it would help alot with the trimming.

I have a homemade wooden one that I use for the Morgans--it's as old as the hills but still holding together quite well.

For the Minis, though, my hoofstand in my knee--works quite well & I don't find it difficult at all to hold a front foot on my knee or a back one propped on my foot.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought the Car Jacks the small ones with a wide base. Two for less than tweenty dollars. I like how they work if you try it and do not like them just return to store.

I will go out in a bit and take a picture of the one my Father made me.

I will post instruction when I post the pic later today.
smile.gif

Toyhorse said:
I went to Wal-Mart and bought the Car Jacks the small ones with a wide base. Two for less than tweenty dollars. I like how they work if you try it and do not like them just return to store.
425859[/snapback]

I like that idea, I think I'll look into it the next time I get to WalMart.

I never thought of using a car jack...we have some of those little ones.

Charmed, I would still be interested in seeing the one your father made
yes.gif

Just start with a good round chunk of fire wood and cut away everything that does not look like a hoof stand. We do not use a hoofstand on the minis. The whole process takes a couple of minutes per foot and they should be able to stand on three legs that long with no trouble.

justaboutgeese said:
  The whole process takes a couple of minutes per foot and they should be able to stand on three legs that long with no trouble.
426086[/snapback]

My minis hold up just fine, I need the stand to make it easier for me.
wink.gif

smile.gif
Hoofjack makes a hoof stand just for minis. I don't have one for the minis but I love the full size one I have to do the warmbloods and drafts I do. They are light don't make a lot of noise if a horse "crashes" one and they are very comfortable for the horse and the trimmer as they are adjustable. I never used to use one but my husband got me this for christmas [i never get "normal" christmas or birthday presents] and I'll say this is the best thing he has ever gotten me! Linda B
aktion033.gif

Camera batteries died yesterday, getting new ones today. Will post pics later today or tomorrow.

My good friend Randy made his own hoof stand, it's actually kind of neat. He just tied horse shoes together, eventually he welded them, but for nearly 3 years it held up with just being tied together. It was really neat.

Latest posts

Back