Hoof Protections?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to get my mare in shape but I have no room to exersize her exept my back yard and that is full of grass so when I try to lunge her, all she wants to do is EAT! We live about 1/2-3/4 miles away from a arena and that is where she likes to go! The only problem is I would like to do this EVERYDAY and I am afraid this will were here hoofes down to short and I dont want to load her in the trailer for THAT short distance! Is there ANYTHING I could put on her hoofes to protect them from getting to woren down? Thanks!!

-Gage-

You can buy hoof hardener at the tack store, Im not sure how good that would word, it mostly just moisturizes. Or if you want to pay a good amount, out can buy mini tennis shoes, they are soooo cute, but pretty pricy. Is there a streach of grass or dirt along side the road that she can walk on beside you? Thoughs are all my ideas, good luck with that!

Katie

Heres an idea. Take duck tape and make squares on top of squares you build them on top of each other then use the sticky side to stick to her bottom of her hooves. Kinda of provides a protective padding. We do this at Estes where the road to the arena is rocky and alot of horses get foot sore over a period of a week.

An extension of the above idea is to take a piece of the Gamgee stuff jumpers use to protect the horses legs- you know the felt-sponge felt sandwich stuff?? Cut out a big circle stand horse on it, wrap it round hoof and cut out to fit- you have to cut "darts" out to make the bits come up the hoof- then wrap duct tape round it. make one slit so it comes off easily. When you want to use it, put it on and add another piece of duct tape. I used and re-used this boot on a filly with an abscess and it never wore out or came off. I've also used it on the Dobergirls, and they were able to run and jump in it. Cheap, too
aktion033.gif

Heck my animals get driven about thirty miles a week or more on roads and except for the fact that my farrier does not have much to trim there is no harm or damage. walking them 3/4 of a mile would be nothing.

Latest posts

Back