Hoof protection thoughts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abby P

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Often, with a riding horse, assuming good healthy feet, front shoes/boots are plenty for protection on all terrains unless you plan to do a ton of fast miles over rocks or pavement. What do folks think - is a driving horse more likely to need protection on all 4 vs. a riding horse, given how much more a driving horse pushes off with the hinds? Or are front shoes/boots still enough in most cases? Or do you just have to try and see? Share with me your wisdom. :)

I have no actual wisdom, but I would probably go with try it and see. My experience with riding horses is that most of them don't need front shoes or boots at all and that people tend to put them on for no real reason. When I've had one that needed shoes I put them on all 4. And my girl is getting boots to make her a little more comfortable, but I'm putting them on all 4. Shoes on just the front can change the way a horse moves slightly so I wouldn't do it unless I was trying to change the way the horse moved.

I'm going to say depends on the horse and environmental conditions. I have one right now that for the first time is wearing boots behind because our ground is so hard and gravely from lack of rain and his conformation behind tends to have him "twist" a hind foot ever so slightly when turning. That twisting on the gravel wears his hoof down quickly. If the ground is normal, he doesn't need the boots. I'm thinking he's had to wear boots behind before as when I put them on, I expected some reaction, but he wandered off unfazed by the new development.

Thanks! I know he'll need front boots on some of the rocky trails - when we're hiking he can just go to the side and pick his way but he won't be able to when he's pulling a cart. When we're hiking it seems to be mainly his fronts that are not comfortable on the big rocks. But I don't know how pulling will change things for him. Also he is not one to do anything even remotely uncomfortable unless he has to, so it's possible that the rocks don't actually hurt his feet, he'd just rather walk on the bestest ground he can find. ;)

I'm getting ready to order the Equine Fusion boots for Billy and I will ask the question about all four feet. I can't see how it would make sense to only put concussion protection on just the front. My sister (big horse) thinks her miniature only needed boots on the front of her driving horse, and I could not wrap my brain around that. We do the majority of our driving on pavement and gravel. Plus, traction in nursing homes seems like it would be better with all four boots.
Planning to call Fusion as soon as they open today. Might save me a lot of money if I only need front boots!

Well...I wasn't thinking as much of concussion protection or protection from excessive wear on pavement - for those things I agree you'd want all 4 protected. I was thinking more of protection for rocky trails and wondering whether the same holds true of driving horses as it does of riding horses, that often a horse will want rock protection on front feet but may be totally fine bare on the hinds. I was thinking maybe not since the driving horse has to push off more with the hind feet but I don't know how much of a real-world difference there is, since the driving horse also has little/no weight on his back which could make up for it.

Certainly if I was going to drive a lot on pavement or any other surface that would really wear the feet down or be very hard on their joints, I'd boot all around. Key being "a lot" - which might vary horse by horse, what constitutes "a lot".

As others mentioned, I also use the Fusion Active Jogger (Equine Fusion Active Jogging Shoe – Chimacum Tack)
I love them!
both my boys drive, and of course they have different sized hoofs, so they each have their own set.

I do boot all 4 hooves. our local roads are mix of dirt and gravel and the gravel chips their hooves. We also try to do the local parades which are all on hot pavement. The boys seem much more calm and comfortable when they have all 4 boots on, on the pavement. And, we also do visitations and indoor activities. Those hard polished floors turn into slip-n-slides if they don't have all 4 boots on.

Yes, expensive. Yes, they are tough and durable and easy to clean. :)

I have one horse that I believe was started too early and cause concussive injury to his front legs/feet. He's much more comfortable in boots than barefoot if we're riding roads for more than a mile or so. I think it's good cushion for his feet as well as a shock absorber for his joints.

None of my others require boots if I work them slowly up to the higher miles. However, if you drive a lot of miles on asphalt you may need boots to prevent too much wear on the hooves.

I also agree that they make for great traction and are worth the money when you need them.

Marsha, it seems that those boots hold up very well, so it should be a good investment for you. In one of Mindy's boot comparison videos she shows a pair that's a year old, and she does a lot of miles, and they looked pretty darned good still!

For my situation, I will probably start with front boots and see how it goes, if he still wants to avoid the rocks then I'll get him hinds as well. I don't have big worries about concussion or traction since I'm on trails. Also a lot of grass fields, where boots can actually be more slippery than bare feet if the grass is wet, but probably not a huge issue at the walk and trot, just avoid cantering when it's wet.

Someday, however, I do want to be able to haul out to some state parks that have gravel roads and very rocky trails and for that I'd want all 4.

Marsha, it seems that those boots hold up very well, so it should be a good investment for you. In one of Mindy's boot comparison videos she shows a pair that's a year old, and she does a lot of miles, and they looked pretty darned good still!

For my situation, I will probably start with front boots and see how it goes, if he still wants to avoid the rocks then I'll get him hinds as well. I don't have big worries about concussion or traction since I'm on trails. Also a lot of grass fields, where boots can actually be more slippery than bare feet if the grass is wet, but probably not a huge issue at the walk and trot, just avoid cantering when it's wet.

Someday, however, I do want to be able to haul out to some state parks that have gravel roads and very rocky trails and for that I'd want all 4.
Midnight wore hers for a couple of years here. We did quite a few miles, though not the rugged terrain Mindy does. They looked good as new when she left me for her new home. They looked very svelte on her black legs; not sure they will look as nice on Billy's white legs. I will post a picture. I think I got them for a sale price from Mindy so they were not as expensive; but prices have gone up on most things, so guess boots did too.

Latest posts

Back