Hoof polish for striped feet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrescentMinis

Reaction score
Need help...Zoey is looking pretty good for her show debut this weekend, but the stuff I bought at Jeffers a while ago (Fiebing's clear hoof polish) looks shiny for about an hour then the shine is gone.

Can anyone recommend a brand that lasts through the day at least? The feed store by me has Absorbine's Supershine hoof polish, is that one any better?

Any other tips for stripey hooves? I sanded the light parts with a foam manicure block from when I used to have acrylic nails on, that worked great.... they look really clean and smooth. I read somewhere about somebody darkening the dark parts of the hooves with something. I just want her to look put together and as well groomed as possible.

Thank you!!

As I recall the Absorbine supershine worked very well; it's been a few years since I used it.

As for Fiebings--I bought some black and some clear this spring--I thought the water based product would work for the indoor show I bought it for. I never actually used the clear--everyone else at the show was painting their white & striped hooves with black, so I used black too. (I still like black best, on all feet!
default_biggrin.png
) But what miserable stuff that Fiebings is. Last time I used water based hoof polish it was, I think, Farnam brand. I liked that stuff for indoor showing (outdoors is no good, it washes off if you're showing on wet grass) particularly on the lighter colored horses because it wiped off so nicely if I got any on the hair. Well, this Fiebings is not the same--I got a little wee bit on one light colored leg & went to wipe it off with a damp cloth & then it spread into a huge black spot. Ack! A lot more wiping and a whole lot of rag & finally it was gone, but I sure won't buy that stuff again.

I have used the Grand Champion brand of clear polish too--again not in a long time, but I think it's still available--& seems to me that is the one that was bad for yellowing.

Ultra might be the best product--I know people that use that, & their horses' feet look good with the clear. They also sell a spray that you spray on the hoofs after they are polished & that adds shine to the polish.

Ultra might be the best product--I know people that use that, & their horses' feet look good with the clear. They also sell a spray that you spray on the hoofs after they are polished & that adds shine to the polish.

Ultra has a finishing spray. You put your regular hoof polish on and then spray this on after. I have ponies go all day and at the end of the day, I just wipe their hooves off of the dust and they are still super shiney.

Please remember to scrub off after you are done showing so not to dry out hooves.

I use the ultra polish (i have both black and clear), and after it drys i spray on a layer of the Finishing spray on the hoof and it adds shine. The finishing spray works very well. I can pain the hooves, spray the spray ontop, let it dry and put the horse back in the stall while i am showing other horses, then come back a few hours later and just wipe off the dust on the hooves and they look like i just did them.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back