Hoof Polish, Black or Clear???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shalakominiatureshowhorses

Reaction score
I've been thinking, if a horse has white hooves (Is that the color?) is it better if they have clear hoof polish? I have Bentley ( pictured in my avatar ) who I have always painted his hooves black. But, I wonder what he would look like with clear? His old owner has always shown him in black hoof polish. I have seen some horses with clear polish that either look awesome or just looks like they are missing something ( know what I mean? LOL ) so, what would you think would look best for my boy? Honestly, I think he could go either way but I would like to hear some opinions
default_smile.png

It's a personal opinion since it's not against any rules ( at least not in AMHR). My boy in the avatar would not, IMO, look good in black hooves but my mare is a bay pinto and even with her white socks she looks better with black feet (two are striped). Her ermine spots help me from having to be too careful where the black goes. LOL

From the little picture I'd just offer my opinion as he should go black.

I use black on my horses with Black hooves and clear on the white hooves. I use Clear on Brigadier (Bentleys brother) He is a black bay pinto with white stockings.

Hey =)

I'm going to use clear hoof polish on Éowyn's white hooves. I second Make A Wish Miniatures--Black on dark hooves and clear on white hooves. =)

I agree with Sandee, it's personal opinion. I know there are some trainers that won't let a horse go in the ring with out black hoof polish on.

I use black on all my horses hooves. I think it looks better than clear.

If you use black and your horse has white legs be careful he doesn't lift his hoof up and rub the black all over his leg. My horse does this all the time, its easy to get off though but its just another thing to do when you are getting them ready to show.

I want to make my minis legs look as long as possible in relation to depth of girth and black hooves on white socks/legs make the legs look shorter so I only put black on black , everything else has clear

Thanks guys!!! I'm still stuck LOL in between which would look better on him. I still like the black on him, but then again I don't know how clear would look on him.

Make a Wish, I have seen Buckey in clear hoof polish, and he looks great, that's why I am second guessing the black.

I know each can collect dirt from the ring, but in the clear is it more noticeable? I guess it's a stupid question, but I'm just curious
default_smile.png

Use only clear on Appaloosas, no matter what color the hooves are. Some judges are very particular about that, and will count you down severely or not place if an appy has black polish. I agree black on black, clear on white. If you sand the hooves well, you can just use the spray on white hooves too. At Nationals, we clear the whites, and use a black marker to draw the lines back in if they have them. No OCD at all.

I love to have white hooves on driving horses and always clear them = makes the legs look longer and judges can see the action the whole way down the leg.

If you really think black would look good on him, try it out. Then try clear polish--if you have time, post pictures of each here and we can give you our opinions =)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO nothing looks better then a nicely sanded clear polished white hoof. It just gives it a better overall impression. I use black for black, clear for white, appies or striped always clear.

If you do use clear make sure you take the time and sand them, otherwise it will not look good.

BTW: The horse in my avatar he is clear because he naturally has black feet but are striped so because of that he is always clear. Also he has spots along his fetlock so I can see people think its black hoof polish when its just his natural color lol.

I agree with everyone else - black on black and clear on white. Appaloosa are not supposed to have black hoof polish no matter the hoof color. A good major of my minis have white feet so I don't usually have black hoof polish. If you look at the horse in my avatar picture I sanded her feet and put clear polish on and you can still see the dust from the ring.

I also heard that putting black hoof polish on feet also makes any conformation faults with the legs more prominent but I don't know how true that is. I also agree that black polish would make the legs look shorter if they have white legs. I always use clear unless black is really needed.

Good luck in your choice! I would try it out on your boy before you start showing so you can see what looks better on him and then go from there.

Instead of using clear polish (which isn't really clear and yellows the hoof) I sand and use the Hoof Polish Enhancer spray. It puts a nice clear coat and shine on light colored hooves.

I always do black. Easier to just bring 1 container of 'always tends to spill and get everywhere in the tack box' fluid !! :D Hahaha.

Here's what I mean by personal. There is no "right" way. First one is my gelding that has completely white feet (even though he thru appies when we was at stud). You can see black hooves on him would look awful and as they said make the legs look shorter.

JoeyAwesome.jpg

Here is my bay mare and she has ermine marks on the white legs and 2 striped feet so I black all four as I think it looks better - dressier (if there is such a word).

Joeyshowmanship.jpg

Here is what she looks like "natural". Two striped feet!

MandyRegistration_right.jpg click on picture for larger image.

Latest posts

Back