Hoof Length

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief, what is up with that. If the vet knows anything about horses at all he/she can make an assessment of the hooves on a mini.
default_no.gif
I feel for you, we have had some struggles finding decent care for ours too. For years the only vet available thought minis were a waste of time. She was consistently late for appointments (at her clinic) and when I called about a stallion who was actually dying I was told to "pick him up and carry him" to the trailer to bring him there or they 'might' manage to see him after supper. After I lost that little guy I never gave them another dime of my money and would haul out of town for care or accept that I was on my own. Fortunately we finally have a vet who will come to us, charges reasonable prices and likes the little ones.
default_aktion033.gif
Don't give up, the professionals you need are out there, someone in the area knows who to use.

Sounds familiar, just like the *farriers* here and vets! I used Pete's book, a new video on miniature hoof trimming that came out recently, www.barefoothorse.com, and started reading and learning. Mini hooves are a lot different than barefoot trimming a large horse simply because they do not have the weight. We are still learning, it never ends and any honest effort you try with information would be a huge improvement. Vets are useless I sadly found out as far as hoof trims go. And although we take angle into account, it is not the determining factor on how much hoof to trim off toe or heel. We use a file, and check and file every 4 weeks, some of them every two weeks simply because I have a horse who is pigeon toed and keep her balanced. All the hoof problems we have or had are because of lack of care from previous owners. Read, learn, try. Anything is better. I also got some help from a master farrier online from the NWC who knew minis and we passed emails and pictures back and forth, also I got an immense amount of help from Charlotte and Frank at Reflections Farm.

The most important thing I have ever done, was to start a hoof journal for each horse. We take photos from every angle, top and bottom, near and far for each trimming session. You would be amazed at what you see in the pictures. They have really helped. Wish you could get more pictures up here.

Yea!!!!
default_laugh.png
I just left the vet's office. A new vet. He says he used to work with minis in Meridan, Tx. Does anyone from there remember him? Kerry Wink. Said he was there in 08 or 09 He also recommended a farrier from Lubbock. I am suppose to be getting a call from him later today to see where we need to start.
default_yes.gif
Hope I'm not being too niave(sp) on trusting this vet. We talked about X-rays to make sure there wasn't something more going on with her. I don't feel there is, but as a precaution. I still intend to learn to do my own trimming, but she needs help now. Thanks for the idea of keeping a trimming journal. That is a fantastic idea and one that I will use.

Maybe I can figure out how to post pictures. I'll work on that and will keep ya'll updated on my mares progress.Thank each of you again for the encouragment and support ya'll have given me.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Im glad your little one will be getting the help she needs. Good for you in staying right on top of things!! Keep us posted!!

On another note ..your avatar picture? Im so blind..is that maybe your son or grandson and is he feeding? Maybe you can get Diane to post a bigger picture of that...it looks like a cute one!!
default_wub.png

That's my Grandson about 2 1/2 yrs ago. He was checking out what was in the bucket and the mini donkey was watching over him. There was no feed in the bucket. Mom had her fencing supplies in there. That was before we got the minis. Dalton now has a miniature named Velvet. He feeds her and cares for her. They are big buddies.

No call from the vet so I'll have to get on top of it again in the morning. Will keep you posted

I just added pics of my avitar and the oldest Grandson to the gallery Maybe that will show better for you

Last edited by a moderator:
This squeaky wheel is almost to the point of screeching. Talked to the vet. He had not heard back from the Farrier, but expects to sometime this morning. According to the farriers recpt. he can't get down here til the 27th!
default_no.gif
Vet thinks that he will be able to get him here before that. Will keep ya'll posted

Update! Not much help from the vet. He doesn't know minis so I'll be searching for another vet as well.
Something does not sound right there. A hoof is a hoof. No matter what size the horse. What exactly did the vet say? Did you insist he had to know about minis in order to help? Because that would not be the case. I am just trying to sort this out.

hoof.jpg

That is not just a bad trim - there is something else going on there. This is not a job for someone who has never trimmed before. The farrier may have taken off a slipper as others said - in which case you cannot always do a very radical trim but must do it by degrees... but just based on this photo there is something abnormal there. Do you have any other photos of that hoof from different angles? What did the hoof look like before the farrier worked on it? Do you know any history on this mare?

I will have to get them this afternoon after I get off work. Hoping she will let me lift her foot. She is getting cranky about it now and I don't blame her.

Although I agree with most of tagalong's post. I know for a fact, a hoof is not a hoof when comparing large horse breeds to miniatures in most, BUT NOT ALL, respects. Yes, everyone has an opinion and their own experience. I have trimmed large and small now and so has my husband with guidance until we can consider ourselves as having mastered all aspects of hoof care. There is a difference, the difference is the weight bearing on the hoof. You also have to consider the terrain and climate the horse lives in as far as a concave or flat sole, retained or shed sole, etc. We have had numerous, serious problems with vets here, 4 to be exact from different practices, who admit they do not know minis, do not understand hooves, etc. Two of our illustrious vets told us our filly's hooves were just fine last summer, no need for a trim, over and over. Then out of desperation we posted here to get help. I can post those pictures if you like, because THAT is the kind of *help* we have gotten concerning our miniatures for hoof care, and dental's. They have also given my minis Bute when told expressly not to for gelding. I have now come to know of many other miniature owners here (due to our Therapeutic Riding Program), who have the same problems in the same areas for their miniatures that we have had.

Although I agree with most of tagalong's post. I know for a fact, a hoof is not a hoof when comparing large horse breeds to miniatures in most, BUT NOT ALL, respects. Yes, everyone has an opinion and their own experience. I have trimmed large and small now and so has my husband with guidance until we can consider ourselves as having mastered all aspects of hoof care. There is a difference, the difference is the weight bearing on the hoof. You also have to consider the terrain and climate the horse lives in as far as a concave or flat sole, retained or shed sole, etc. We have had numerous, serious problems with vets here, 4 to be exact from different practices, who admit they do not know minis, do not understand hooves, etc. Two of our illustrious vets told us our filly's hooves were just fine last summer, no need for a trim, over and over. Then out of desperation we posted here to get help. I can post those pictures if you like, because THAT is the kind of *help* we have gotten concerning our miniatures for hoof care, and dental's. They have also given my minis Bute when told expressly not to for gelding. I have now come to know of many other miniature owners here (due to our Therapeutic Riding Program), who have the same problems in the same areas for their miniatures that we have had.
Minis do have some specific issues that need to be addressed - especially young ones - but the photo showed a hoof that any decent vet should be able to address and give advice about. The same situation could happen in a big horse. I expect that this mare has other issues due to that hoof and its structure and the way she must bear weight on it and move... I hope mini dream can get some more photos from all sides and underneath...
default_yes.gif

There is a difference, the difference is the weight bearing on the hoof. You also have to consider the terrain and climate the horse lives in as far as a concave or flat sole, retained or shed sole, etc.
Yes - that applies to all horses, including minis. Proportionately, a 15 HH horse with normal hooves would have the same weight bearing concerns as a 36" mini with normal hooves. Note that I said "normal" hooves. Each horse has their own idiosyncrasies that factor into their individual care.

Bute is usually only hazardous with prolonged use. But you are right - it is very wrong of the vet to use it when the owners expressly say not to. Our vet - that many mini people around here use - is also a highly thought of big horse vet... and the best dentals for minis around here are done by a large horse vet who knows his stuff and is very aware of the issues many minis have. He is far superior to the some of the "equine dentists". I had the horses' teeth done one year by one "equine dentist" that many mini people raved about. Never again. He did not even look in a few of the horses' mouths and declared that they were "fine" - even though I specifically told him that one packed her food and always needed work. I had to get them done by the vet later - they were far from "fine". And the "equine dentist" thought it was hilarious that the vet would keep files on each horse's teeth and the work that was done. I was not impressed at all.

Anyway, not every large horse vet is clueless about mini hooves and dental care.... but you are right that minis have some specific issues that need to be considered.

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Will be loading my mare in the trailer shortly to take to the farrier. He will see her today. I'm taking off work so I can go with her and talk to him and get to know him better. Liked what I heard this morning. I know that it may not be just a trimming issue and that will also be addressed. This man is a journeyman farrier. Does that make a difference? I'm nervous about not knowing him, but I know something has to be done. It seems from what I have learned, his father was a farrier and his two brothers are also farriers
default_saludando.gif
Wish me luck I'm off. Will update when I get back.

default_risa8.gif
Fantastic!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
. I'm in love
default_wub.png
This farrier has my heart and horses forever. He did a wonderful job on April's hooves
default_yes.gif
and I'll try to post pics tomorrow so everyone can see the difference. Thank everyone for their support and encouragement. I was about to give up finding someone.So glad I didn't and April is too
default_yes.gif
We may still have some work to do, but there is such a difference now in just one trim.
default_risa8.gif
:BananaHappy
default_risa8.gif
:BananaHappy

Well done you - cant wait to see the pictures.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Did your new farrier have anything to say in general about her feet?

:yeahGreat News.. so glad you found someone you can trust & feel good about there work. I am sure she feels much beeter
default_aktion033.gif

Here are the pics of the trim. Blane said we would have to do some more to see how they are going to straighten up they have done a lot already.
0916111911171.jpg
0916111911171.jpg

Latest posts

Back