Hoof Length

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a mini dream come true

Reaction score
I would like to know what is the recommenced length of hoof. Basically what is the normal or average length of corinet (sp) to bottom of heel length. I know every horse is different, but isn't there an average length?

I don't have any pictures right now, but I think one of my mares back hooves are too long or too high. All information is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

It's hard to say an average-- because some horse do have deeper feet than others. One of my 44" ponies has a 1 inch heel when he is freshly trimmed and that does not make his foot "too short" while one of my 42" mares generally has a 1 3/4" heel. A 1" heel would make her foot way too short. Others have 1.5 or 1.25" heels and they range in size from 36.5" to 43" My minis would have a similar variation, though I haven't actually measured them in quite awhile.

The length is less of a concern than the angle . Some horses have issues where the angles are too steep or too shallow making the foot look short or long and sometimes it is a farrier problem and poor trimming is the culprit.

The length is less of a concern than the angle . Some horses have issues where the angles are too steep or too shallow making the foot look short or long and sometimes it is a farrier problem and poor trimming is the culprit.

This is my delima. The hoof looks deeper, longer than the other hind hoof. The mare is trying to walk on the side of her hoof not the bottom. My farrier does not come when he says he will. This is the mess he left me with and it's not the first time, so I want to learn how to care for them myself. I sorry I'm not trying to be mean, but I am very frustrated with trying to find a dependable farrier.

Does any one have any experience with the Merlin for minis?

This is my delima. The hoof looks deeper, longer than the other hind hoof. The mare is trying to walk on the side of her hoof not the bottom. My farrier does not come when he says he will. This is the mess he left me with and it's not the first time, so I want to learn how to care for them myself. I sorry I'm not trying to be mean, but I am very frustrated with trying to find a dependable farrier.

I cant answer your questions but i wanted to add GOOD for you if i could do mine I would, & Your not mean, I have had the same issues with farriers My one Girl all most founder becasue of his chop jobs, I went with a TRUE Bare foot Trimmer who works with mini's & owns some. I am so please with his work, My gril is no longer sore footed and everyone else is done right, I have thought about learning how to, Hope you get the info you need.

Can you post a picture or two of what you're talking about? That would certainly help in getting some "focused" answers for you.

If you need help posting, you can email them to me and I'll be happy to post them for you. ([email protected]).

~~Diane

Thank you Diane, I'll have to get to them first. I'm at work and can't send them from here. They are on my phone. which is in my car.

This is my delima. The hoof looks deeper, longer than the other hind hoof. The mare is trying to walk on the side of her hoof not the bottom. My farrier does not come when he says he will. This is the mess he left me with and it's not the first time, so I want to learn how to care for them myself. I sorry I'm not trying to be mean, but I am very frustrated with trying to find a dependable farrier. Sounds like your farrier is not living up to the title and needs replacing but don't feel bad, many of us have struggled with lousy farriers and that is why when you find a good one it is wise to treat them like gold IMO.

I don't have any experience with Merlins but I would be hesitant to use a power device when I was learning. I would be very easy to do real harm very quickly

There is an excellent book by Pete Ramey called Making Natural Hoof Care Work For You.

I do all my own trimming and find this book has helped to improve my efforts and still has more meaning every time I reread it.

Helicopter, Thank you for the name of the book I'll be checking into it.

Diane, I think I got a pic e-mailed to you, but not sure.

Rainmaker, thank you for your encouragment

Mini Love Thank you also for the encouragment

I'm still new to minis and I don't want to hurt them or see them hurting and I fell she is in pain when she tries to walk. I don't have the strength to use nippers that is why I asked about the merlin. Until I could get used to the merlin I would just use a file to take off what I could. These babies depend on me to see to their needs and care and I want to do what's best for them.

Here's the picture you sent me:

hoof.jpg
That's it Diane. Do you see what I was trying to explain?

It took 3 weeks to get the farrier here after his scheduled date and this is what he left me with. My hubby is going to talk to the vet tomorrow. The last farrier i had was not any better. maybe the vet can recomend someone. Once I can get it corrected I think I could take care of it myself. Hubby built me a mini lift so they can be raised to a better height for me to work on. They love getting on it.

Thank you so much Diane for posting the pic. Sometimes I feel incompitent (sp) with the babies because I was never really around any growing up or as an adult until recently. My other babies hooves look good and I don't know why she looks so bad unless it's because she is a little less freindly about getting her hooves done and he just gets frustrated and quits before he should.

Good heavens! That farrier (I use the term pretty loosely in this case) should be ashamed. A bad trim is one thing but that is ...
default_no.gif
. I think unless there is a structural problem with that foot that isn't apparent in the photo, any trim will be better than that. Poor mare. I hope the vet can point you in the right direction. Good luck, do let us know how you, and she, make out.

Oh my goodness, the farrier that did that should be more than ashamed of himself! That is pathetic--even a structural defect in the leg/foot would be no excuse for leaving a hoof looking like that. He should not have charged you any money for that trim.

I agree Mimimor, what I was actually saying is unless there is a defect the OP could not do worse than what was already done. No beginner would do a trim any worse than that one.
default_no.gif

It looks like she had an overly long hoof (think elf slippers) and he just hacked it off and left it at that. What part of texas are you from, maybe a forum member knows a good farrier who can get you started in the right direction

Its not the same effect writing it as saying it, as you can't hear the tone, but my old vet used to say "there are horseshoers, and then there are farriers". [Horseshoers hack the hoof to get a paycheck, Farriers trim/balance the hoof.]

Thank you all for your help and concern.. Game plan for today is get with the vet and then find a farrier. Chanda, I like your old vets saying. Book store and search for Videos. I can do this.

Update! Not much help from the vet. He doesn't know minis so I'll be searching for another vet as well.

Crazy, I'll be sending you a pm

Latest posts

Back