HOOF KNIFE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAILS

Reaction score
WHAT TYPE AND BRAND OF HOOF KNIFE DO YOU RECOMMEND?

I have and like 'The Knife'; got it from Jeffers, several years ago.

That said, I've always liked the idea of the 'loop' knife, as in the link posted by Marsha, but do think a person would need to be careful in learning how to 'handle' it.

BTW, because these kinds of implements are SHARP, I recommend a pair of well-fitting leather gloves AND a leather 'farrier's apron' (you might 'get by' w/ a lesser expensive leather 'hay apron' if you aren't trimming 'full time', and are trimming only minis...)

Margo

I like the Frost knife as they are reasonable and hard to kill and stay pretty sharp for a good period of time. Linda

Since Linda mentioned sharpness....those of you doing your own should be aware that your hoof knife WILL eventually dull and need sharpening. Nothing is more maddening, to me, that an implement that is too dull to work!

I'm sure there are other(and maybe better!) ways, but I've always used some VERY small files, flat on one side, rounded on the other. Then I 'top it off' with a diamond-dust 'sharpening stick' that I ordered. Works for me-but I wondered if the professional farriers on here would comment further?

Margo

I love the Micro Sharpener

knifesharpner.jpg

You can find at Alvin Farrier Supply www.alvinfarriersupply.com/

When I really need to add an edge I have a dremel tool with a chain saw sharpening stone on it.

I go through a knife every 60 days or so.

Latest posts

Back