Hoof Issues...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif
. Okay so today i went out to drive Aura and when i was picking out her feet (first thing i do) i noticed her feet were weird. In the frog area when i picked it white stuff came off the frog, so immediately i thought it was thrush, well it ain't smell like it. I also noticed that just on the sole right near the White line it looked "Frayed", so i went and grabbed my trimming stuff and leveled out the underside of the hoof. When i was doing so i noticed the hoof was easy to cut with the nippers, so i started to take off the dead hoof stuff with the knife and it was rock hard... okay at this point im all confused.
default_wacko.png
so instead of screwing up her foot i just finished it off with the rasp. Well i was looking at the hoof trying to figure out what could be wrong. I took the hoof pick and applied pressure to different spots on the hoof to see if it made her uncomfortable...nope. nothing. I was also able to lightly scrape out some "Stuff" (im guessing it is dead hoof) out of the white line or water line...idk which. So at this point, i just stopped i didn't want to do any damage, i continued to look at the rest of her feet and they all seemed fine.

I don't know what this could be, im always on top of her hooves the vet was out doing there hooves about a month ago, other wise i do them, and i haven't ever had any problems. I have noticed her favoring that leg, but it always seemed to be a "Joint" issue and we changed her diet and it went away.

My mom's not home and my dad knows crap bout horses/donkeys. I talked to mom and she's on her way home (from bro's hockey practice) and she's going to look at it. I think the vet needs to be called out for this one. Mean while im looking up hoof problems in donkeys/horses and nothing seems to "pop" at me. It seems like it could be Thrush, but it doesn't smell!

you guys got any ideas? im worried bout my li'l girl

~Ian

Sounds to me like she might have foundered? I would check with a vet or farrier.

If you changed her diet and she seemed to be favoring a leg..my guess would be she had a light case of founder. Did you had her on a lush pasture for any length of time? Founder, Thrush, White Line Disease, Abscesses, Laminitis, are all distinct, individual problems that donkeys can have. How is she doing now?

Corinne

She is good as new now. I talked to my Agri-Science teacher and she said from what it sounds like that her hoves are soft and from all this wet weather it's affecting her hoof, not like thrush. So i treated it with a thrush buster like stuff just once. She was off for about 2 days. But she's good. Were going to still get a hoof hardener and put her on a hoof and joint supplement. But other wise she's good. I have been long lining her at the walk around the arena to strech her legs and she is good. Im also turning her out in a different pasture that has better drainage.

Latest posts

Back