Hoof & farrier question/problem - need opinions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you've gotten some very good advice here - my recommendation is to get a new farrier immediately. If you post on horseshoes.com, I'm sure you'll be able to find a qualified farrier in your area. Or I would imagine your feedstore or vet has someone they can recommend. Definitely change who you are using - this is not a farrier!

Best wishes,

Liz N.

Thank you to all of you! I found a farrier ad and emailed back and forth asking about experience with minis etc.

I additionally asked a breeder an hour away from me if she knew someone. She has friends with minis near where I live and emailed me with a recommendation of a good one - turns out to be the one I had emailed! 10 years of experience with minis so I'm hoping this is the one! AND - its a female! So let's see if a girl can fix what the guys couldn't!
default_smile.png
she'll be here Monday and I will take "after" pics (I know it won't be "fixed" in one session but I'm sure I'll see a difference!

Regarding doing them myself - I rather have a trained professional and pay them for it. I do so much myself already I could keep 10 people busy with all of it. LOL

I too would rather pay a good farrier to trim my horses, but numbers and circumstance lead me to learn to do some of it myself. [i do have a good farrier, he takes care of special issues and the saddle horses; and we take turns on the rest of the herd.] So, pay close attention when she is there, if you like her, continue to pay close attention and learn what is involved in trimming hooves. Just in case someday you find yourself without a good farrier, whether temporary situation or long-term.

Bsharpranch.....do you ever come to Nebraska? I have rescued 2 mini mares that have horrible feet. Farriers out here dont want to work on minis here. If I posted a pic of the worst one could you give me any suggestions, I have found one farrier who would look at them and see what he could do but doesn't have equipment for minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
And forgot to mention my horses are all big horses besides one XD I don't call myself a farrier, but If I trim horses hooves--then what am I? lol

Bsharpranch.....do you ever come to Nebraska? I have rescued 2 mini mares that have horrible feet. Farriers out here dont want to work on minis here. If I posted a pic of the worst one could you give me any suggestions, I have found one farrier who would look at them and see what he could do but doesn't have equipment for minis.
My farrier uses his regular tools on my minis. His full-size nippers, his full-size rasp. He's trimmed everything from from 2 month old babies upto my 38" mares with the same tools. The rules are the same for all sizes of horses; trim to balance.

Suemahree, No, I do not go to Nebraska. However send me some pics pm and I'll give you some help. I understand how frustrating it can be. I had a wonderful farrier when I was a teenager. He shod racehorses in NY in the summer and show horses in AZ in the winter. Made it hard for me because the people he let take over for the summer were just not him! I complained when he came back so he allowed me to apprentice and learn the following two winters. I've been doing horses ever since! Started to specialize in minis when a big horse broke my pelvis. My email is [email protected].

So glad you found a resource, and a farrier!!! I would give a lot to have a competent farrier here for mine! I am so happy for you!

Ditto Chandab.

Yes, same size tools on mini's, unless you can afford a mini hoof stand. I dream at night of a mini lift, *sigh*

Yes, indeed I did get in trouble for insulting someone's friend who trimmed their horses hooves badly. I deserved it too. Sometimes I just type too fast and don't take the time to make sure I am tactful and hopefully helpful, without being rude or blunt. It is so easy to misinterpret intentions in writing.

I use mini nippers (10") and have a mini hoof stand (homemade). Standard size rasp and all my knives are double edged. As for the lift, it would be awesome for good minis who stand still, but most of my clients horses are too jumpy and the lift would be very unsafe for me and the horse.

1/2 the goat owners have milk stands and thats fine untill you try to trim in them, then my arm get banged up and bad bruises, so I prefure to trim goats without it.

In my farrier bag:

4 sets of 10" Diamond nippers

1 8" wire cutter

3 hoof picks

5 sets of different sized doubled edged knives

1 frog knife

2 rasps

2 different sized twitch clamps

bottle of coppertox

1 lead rope

2 sets of leather gloves

roll of white bandage tape (for my fingers)

bussiness cards

In the truck:

farrier chaps

6 different sized halters (pony-mini-goat)

mini hoof stand

nicker snack treats

1st aid kit (human/horse)

water

oh and I wear stealtoed shoes!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Stories and pictures like these make me send up another thanks to heaven for my farrier, who I literally "stumbled" across when I went to look at a yearling they had for sale. The farrier's wife was selling the last of her minis. When they met, he knew nothing about trimming feet but in an effort to help her, learned how and together they serve all kinds of clients, both big and small. I would have had no idea what was a good or bad trim in those early months back in 2009. *I* have learned a lot through their expertise. Good luck with the new farrier...keep us posted on how it goes!

Yeah, why is it that no matter how often we say these are "horses" treat them that way, it's still impossible to get a good (meaning knowledgable) vet and farrier, oh and add dentist to that list!!!

Tadaa! Here are the after pics and can I just say I LOVE my new farrier! This is the FIRST time anyone took this much off her feet and I can see the bottom of her foot without a flashlight and there's no ECHO!!! Not only has she been doing minis for 10 years but she's also a mini owner herself and knowledgeable about anything horse - I think I hit the jackpot!

She said she'll take (even more!) off next time as the tendons need time to adjust, she also left more frog this time to stimulate the frog growth. But it's a difference between nicht and day and I think she "shrunk" at least an inch!

20121210_150233-1.jpg

20121210_150224-1.jpg

20121210_170854.jpg

Tadaa! Here are the after pics and can I just say I LOVE my new farrier! This is the FIRST time anyone took this much off her feet and I can see the bottom of her foot without a flashlight and there's no ECHO!!! Not only has she been doing minis for 10 years but she's also a mini owner herself and knowledgeable about anything horse - I think I hit the jackpot!

She said she'll take (even more!) off next time as the tendons need time to adjust, she also left more frog this time to stimulate the frog growth. But it's a difference between nicht and day and I think she "shrunk" at least an inch!

20121210_150233-1.jpg

20121210_150224-1.jpg

20121210_170854.jpg
nice

I told her she's not allowed to MOVE or QUIT! As long as I own horse's and that will be for a loooong time! LOL
I'd still be very observant and learn all you can about hoof care and trimming. You never know when something might come up (like she gets hurt or something and can't get to you for a bit).

What a relief! Very nice
default_smile.png
. Those before pics were scary looking....

Latest posts

Back