Hoof color and polishing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maranatha minis

Reaction score
I have heard many diferent things about polishing hooves. If they are all black paint them black. What if 3 are balck and 1 is natural, or they are striped? Do you make them all the same or do each hoof individually?

What are they looking for in a show? I have 1 coming up next weekend then it is on to National's.

thanks.

If they have 3 black hooves and 1 white, paint the black black and the white clear. If they are striped you can either paint it all clear of I have seen some people paint the black stripes black, and when it is dry paint the rest clear.

Good luck at nationals!

Hmm.. I thought that when you had all black and one white you paint them all black? Atleast thats what I have heard.. It seems more professional to me. Someone correct me please if I am wrong.

default_wacko.png
:

My personal gripe - for any show horse, not just minis - is using black polish for white/striped hooves on white legs. Hate it. I know it is done all the time - but it breaks up the "line" visually. White or striped feet look better in clear polish, IMHO... and black polish on dark hooves with dark points or colour. But there is no "set" rule - it is just personal preference.

Black hooves can be sandpapered and you can use either black OR clear polish.

Striped hooves......If the the stripes are at all uneven, they give a false illusion of crooked legs, so blacking them is safer. If the lines are straight, showing them off with clear polish is nice.

White hooves generally look better sand papered and with clear polish, IMO. But if the horse doesn't have socks, you can go either way.

I agree with Tagalong......when a horse has socks and white hooves, blacking the hooves tends to disrupt the flow of color and makes the leg look "chopped off"......Just my opinion.

MA

My biggest pet peeve ever is hoof black on white feet. Nothing looks any worse to me! White feet should have clear polish, black feet need to have hoof black. As far as stripes...dark legs get hoof black, light legs get clear.

JMO though

Jen

thanks every one, that will really help me in the future. I have been blacking hooves on white socks and it looks weird to me, but it looked "dressed up". I will try the clear and the black and clear on the striped hooves.

Latest posts

Back