Hoof boots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
My mare has been a little sore on hard ground especially after trims, and I'm looking for a way to keep her more comfortable while being trailered. I'm thinking about some nice cushiony hoof boots, but I have never used them before. What brand do you think would give us the most cushion and stay on even if she paws in the trailer?

My mare has been a little sore on hard ground especially after trims, and I'm looking for a way to keep her more comfortable while being trailered. I'm thinking about some nice cushiony hoof boots, but I have never used them before. What brand do you think would give us the most cushion and stay on even if she paws in the trailer?
Easy Boots would be a good choice. Have your farrier measure for you.
Easyboot Mini

Well, time for the big decision. Boots for Billy. Easy Boots are $230. Equine Fusion $450. I really like the way the Fusion boots fit and their trimmer profile. Dapper Dan has lost an Easy Boot a few times, and the Velcro seems like it isn't holding as well now. But it's a big investment. My hoof guy measured for me and I have the sizes figured out. Not I just have to decide.

Thats a lot of $$ different if they aren't quite a bit better. I ordered some easy boots to try but they aren't here yet.
You will like them. Dapper dan has had his for several years. But his size 3 didnt fit billy just right. Fusions have regular and slim, which matched his measurements better. That makes my dilemma.

As others mentioned, I also use the Fusion Active Jogger (Equine Fusion Active Jogging Shoe – Chimacum Tack)
I love them!
both my boys drive, and of course they have different sized hoofs, so they each have their own set.

I do boot all 4 hooves. our local roads are mix of dirt and gravel and the gravel chips their hooves. We also try to do the local parades which are all on hot pavement. The boys seem much more calm and comfortable when they have all 4 boots on, on the pavement. And, we also do visitations and indoor activities. Those hard polished floors turn into slip-n-slides if they don't have all 4 boots on.

Yes, expensive. Yes, they are tough and durable and easy to clean. :)

So how should these things fit? It doesn't seem as snug on her hoof as I expected but it doesn't seem to move around when she walks.

So how should these things fit? It doesn't seem as snug on her hoof as I expected but it doesn't seem to move around when she walks.
Your Easy Boots? My farrier said he doesn't like to see them too snug, but twisting on the foot isn't good. I was told to put a plastic bag over the hoof before trying on the boot, and standing on a clean surface, like a piece of cardboard, so they can be returned it the fit isn't correct.
You should be able to pull the two velcro cross pieces over to fit on the hoof nicely.

Hmmm, these might not fit then. The velcro closes but there is a pretty big gap. I'm thinking they are going to fill up with shavings and hay while she is in the trailer. They don't seem very cushiony either. I kind of thought they would be softer, like a tire rubber.

Hmmm, these might not fit then. The velcro closes but there is a pretty big gap. I'm thinking they are going to fill up with shavings and hay while she is in the trailer. They don't seem very cushiony either. I kind of thought they would be softer, like a tire rubber.
Does sound as though the fit might not be correct. These are Easy Boot brand?

They should fit like your boots should fit. some play in them. You should be able to fairly easily slip the boot on and off and not need a hammer ;-)

but too loose can cause serious problems also!

The solution is actually really simple if the boots are slightly large.
Put socks on them!!! :)

I use infant/toddler socks. I like the wild colored ones!
They are inexpensive, easy to put on, take up the excess space without squeezing the horse, and I throw them away when they wear through. Not to mention that the humans think its sooooooo cute too :)

Chimacum tack turned me onto the socks. They really do work fantastic.
Chimacum is my goto for all my boots and harnesses and how-to help.

Oh dear. Socks on my poor horse. She already doesn't think I'm funny. I read somewhere that I'm supposed to buy cushion pads for them if I want cushioning so that might take up some space too. If not I will try socks. Yes, they are the Easy Boots.

Oh dear. Socks on my poor horse. She already doesn't think I'm funny. I read somewhere that I'm supposed to buy cushion pads for them if I want cushioning so that might take up some space too. If not I will try socks. Yes, they are the Easy Boots.
Give it a try! Sounds like fun!

The Equine Fusion boots arrived for Billy. We did the plastic bag/standing on cardboard thing this morning to see how they fit. I ended up taking off the back bags as I couldn't tell about the fit. I think they fit fine.

Discovered Billy is a little freaked by plastic bags. And having them on his feet, standing on cardboard almost took him over the edge. I didn't get a good photo of the bags and boots on his feet, but we had a little desensitizing lesson after the boot fit. I was surprised by the bag-thing as I carry one on walks to pick up litter and he has never been bothered by them. Today he decided to be scared.
I had planned to take him for a walk with his new boots, but by the time we got all the grooming and fitting finished, it was too hot. Tomorrow...

Attachments

• billy with bags.jpg
    billy with bags.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 0
Billy wearing his new boots. We walked for a mile, then I checked for any rubbing as the hind seemed a little snug. No problems.
Looking good, he seems to like it! Is he cooperative in putting them on?

Latest posts

Back