Hoof angle on a mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rubymtminis

My husband has been to farrier school and always kept our large horses trimmed when not wearing shoes. We found a wonderful farrier to trim our minis about three times a year. Question is, he wanted me to ask on here if anyone knows what angle to use on minis? I plan on buying a miniature hoof leveler, but he wonders if the same angle is used as on a large horse with a large sized hoof leveler.

I've always believed that there is no set angle for a horse. I have mine trimmed to match the angle of each individual horse's pasterns.

Yup, same here, whatever each horses particular pasern angle is, is pretty-much how they are done. I think my driving gelding's are around 52-53% all around, and some others are less.

I ditto that... I have one mare that has like 4 seperate feet. ALL my mares have different feet! NONE have the same type of feet...... so they are trimmed each to thier own feet.

Something you might want to keep in mind.

I've heard a few mini farrier's mention that when big horse farrier's do the mini feet that they usually leave too much heel on them. This is because they are used to leaving a little heal on the big horses.

Ok ill jump in on this

if you buy the brass hoof gauge the "optimum" angle for a mini is 47-52 degrees which like the other posts state is just an average

the best way i have found is an old farmers trick using a tape measure

i PMed you with my number and can explain how to do that its quite simple

the 88 year old south dakota farmer that taught me showed it to me and is more acurate then a gauge to get the feet even

dawn

Latest posts

Back