Honeymoon after 10 1/2 years

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
Hubby and I got married 10 1/2 years ago. We always planned on going on a honeymoon but something ALWAYS happened. First off, we owned two houses when we married and his just wouldn't sell. So we were forced to do a major remodel (and I'm talking MAJOR here) and after 3 years, tons of money, tons of work and having it sit on the market for two years, it FINALLY sold. By which time we were ready to retire and so we moved to Kentucky (which took all our honeymoon money). So after some time up here we are ready and what happens??? My daughter gets married. Sigh. Not that I'm complaining, but our honeymoon was postponed so we could do the wedding thing. Then my mother in law starts whining (and again, don't get me wrong, I love my MIL) that she is getting older and wants a visit from us before she dies. So again, our honeymoon was postponed so we could spend a week up in PA with her. Last summer we were set to go when we had the truck accident and hubby broke his neck. That was a 9 month recovery.

Quite frankly, I just assumed that by this time, it just wasn't in the cards. I mean, who takes a honeymoon after they've been married this long? Apparantly, WE DO!!!!!

Hubby surprised me with plans for an Alaskan cruise at the end of next month. How nice is that??? We'll fly from here to Dallas to spend the day with our grandaughter, then fly out the following day and board the ship (Norweigan Sun). So now I'm in the middle of getting horse/chicken/cat/dog sitters lined up. And getting some new cold weather clothes. ( I rather doubt they will be impressed with my typical winter sweat pants.)

I'm still in a state of shock, cannot believe it. I've already told everyone that we are going on this trip NO MATTER WHAT happens. If anyone dies, I'll have them thrown in the freezer until we get back. No one can get married (sorry kids) until we return. And I'm not real keen on hubby driving anywhere, either. (just in case, you understand)

I'm doing the happy dance.

Oh, what a wonderful surprise! I'm so excited for you! Sometimes just getting away and spending some alone time together is just what you need. ;)

I used to be really money-tight, but then I had a rude wake-up call on how short life can be, and now I can't seem to save for anything. Lol. Life is for living...and as long as the bills are paid and the pets are fed, thats exactly what I try to do now.
default_smile.png
Make sure that you take lots of pictures and tell us all about it. My mom has always dreamed of taking a cruise to Alaska.

Have always wanted to go to Alaska. I have several friends that have been on the cuise and they have all loved it. Hubs and I have been married for 17 years this year and have not had a honeymoon either! Well we tried, but we both got food poisoning. It was the 2nd marriage for both of us and we each had a 5 year old at the time, so we were only planning on a one night stay on our own and than were going to have a short holiday with the kids. We got married in Vegas and after we were married, for our reception, our small wedding party went to the seafood buffet. Hubs and I, and 2 others ended up with severe food poisoning. Ended up in bed for the next three days solid. Well I guess that is what happens on most honeymoons, but we were throwing up, so no fun there! I am planning a just us vacation for our 20th.

Hope you have a fantastic time and yes, please take lots of pictures to share:)

Congrats! Have a good time on the cruise =)

My parents will be celebrating their 30th anniversary this June. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
WHOOOO HOOOOO that is SO awesome!!!!!!! I'm thrilled for you!! I hope you'll post lots of pics when you get back!!!

26 years later and I doubt we'll ever get a honeymoon, I'm just happy to still have my honey!
default_wub.png

I love love love this.

Dump the cell phones and cruise away!!!!! Its about time. YAY!

Not sure where you're going, but the scenery off the coast is absolutely stunning. Happy Honeymooning!!!

Latest posts

Back