Honey foaled!!!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
I thought the day would never come! I will NEVER buy a pasture bred mare ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honey gave us the most scrumptious tiny red dun pintaloosa filly! Soooo elegant and refined! With a head to die for! And leeeegs. I want to keep her. Need to work on Frank

We're having a little problem with the heat though. Never had this before with a foal. She and mom are now in a stall in the groom room with airconditioning. The temp is down to 87 and her respirations have slowed by half already (only been in there 20 minutes). I figure I'll get it down to about 80 in there and she should be fine. Maybe they can spend the nights in their regular stall and early mornings outside. Has anyone here ever had heat stress in their foals? I just heard from Becky and Ravin's new filly had to go in the groomroom just now too. What is going on?

Before I put them in there I was misting her every 30 minutes and she was under a floor fan and ceiling fan. Didn't do a bit of good! I've never seen a horse panting like that. Scared the pants off me!

honeyfilly.jpg

Reflections Anticipation (aka, Annie)

Charlotte

She is precious! I have an Anticipation too.
default_wub.png
Good thoughts coming her way--I hope the little doll is feeling cooler soon.

Beautiful! I have only had experience with a yearling having heat stress. I bathed or showered her every couple hours, got a fan on her. Took 2 days, but then we were fine.

Oh, Charlotte! I'm in love with your little girl!!
default_wub.png

Sounds like you've got a plan for combating her heat stress... hope it works just fine.

Congrats what a cutie!
default_wub.png

Your little girl is a doll!

My first mule had a heat stroke. His dam was a maiden and didn't let him nurse enough the first day. I think she still didn't get it the next day good enough and it was in the high 90s. On day 3, I came home to check on them and he was acting colicy but different. He had his mouth wide open and kept falling in circles. He was biting at his side, at least it looked that way. He couldn't stand on his own. The vet that came out wanted to put him down saying it was encyphlitis. We opted to try and keep him alive. They glued a tube in his nose so I could feed him. Milked momma and feed every hour on the hour and kept him in a cool place. This all started at 10 am. At midnight that night, he was feeling well enough to pull his nose tube out and start fighting with the bottle. He nursed on his own and took off from there. It was a really scary ordeal that's for sure. Good luck with your little one.

edited to add: this boy is schizophrenic. He can be totally normal for a while and then just completely freak out. He can't stand anyone wearing a big cowboy hat except me.
default_unsure.png
default_new_shocked.gif
He'll never be sold just because no one else would understand him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlotte,

She is STUNNING!
default_drool5.gif

Yes, I've had several instances where my babies where too hot and were panting. Just seems some of the tiniest ones (for me anyway) just can't regulate their temp or handle the heat like most foals do. My little Mira that was a premie and now is a yearling still can't handle the heat.

Congrats, she's a keeper for sure!

What a sweetheart! Congrats!

Can you clip her - I know she is a newborn, but that may help. Our filly was only a couple of days old and was diagnosed with pneumonia. I brought her home at 3 days from Kris Vegter's and clipped her the next day as my vet told me I needed to keep her cool. She never ran much of a fever, but her respiration was really up there. I kept she and mom in the stall except early in the morning and in the evenings - during the day they have a fan.

Good luck.

Barbie

That is one darling little honey bunny, I can see why you'd want to keep her, I certainly would!

default_wub.png
so cute! cant wait to see more pictures. I hope she feels better soon.

Charlotte...what a beauty. Our mare foaled sunday night and the last several days I have let mama & baby out early morning to stretch and then in the evening for excersize. She has an aweful thick coat and I have been watching her for any signs of heat stress. The stall they have has a good breeze and our barn stays cool but i told my hubby with the weather forecast for 100 nx week I am clipping some of that fuzz. Her coat is thick. If only around the neck a little...enough to help with the heat.

Latest posts

Back