Honest answer here, , , how often do you

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Not stalls, how often do you clean the inside of the barn? As in cleaning walls, stall dividers, ceilings etc. ?

I do cob webs once a month. I clean the inside walls, power wash and scrub brush, once a month.

Well, tonight I did the girls side. Came in and was a little wet, in this heat felt good. Hubby asked, did you clean the inside AGAIN? Well yeah, I did the boys 2 weeks ago, was time to do the girls.

He thinks it's work that doesn't need done! Well, I get stuff off the wall each and every time, so yes, it does need done.

"And how many other people do it once a month?"

Can't answer for sure, but I'm not the only one.

Where forum comes in,

How often do you scrub down barn walls?????

Am I in his words, "Ate up" or just maybe a little ahead of the germ and bacteria game????

Maybe why my horses have never been sick, knock on wood, due to germs. I seem to only get the really weird things.
wacko.gif

Sorry no power brushing here.

I don't have a set time frame of doing all this kind of thing.

I pretty much do cobwebs and dust off beams and things as needed. I use a broom but for a lot of it, I use the leaf blower. Probably comes to about once a month or more. But not during winter at all as a rule. I'll do a last time fall time cleaning right before it gets freezing.

I've got pictures and stuff like that hanging on the stall walls so I do keep the dirt broomed off of those pretty much.

At the end of summer, I'll take the fans apart and clean them up real good and then bag them in black garbage bags and put them in storage until next spring.

As for washing down stall walls.......I don't!

The last thing I need to do with my falling down plywood walls is to deliberately turn a hose on them. I take a broom though and do that though for the heck of it.

But if someone mashes a poopy on my walls in the new barn, after I have a heart attack, I suspect I'll be scrubbing that off the concrete in new York minute.

I usually do cobwebs twice a year, in the fall, and in the summer. I don't scrub walls, just dust them, and thats usually when needed.

Guess I'd say..."as needed" ??? Sometimes it's needed and sometimes not.

I just got through brushing down our walls and then hosing......but it didn't need it until now. We just moved in 10 months ago.

At our previous place, we would pressure wash every summer.

MA

I just finished doing both the barn and the foaling stalls the other day. I do it as needed and before foaling for the foaling stalls

Lisa is right....DUH.....We also hose down the stalls when we disinfect them for foaling!

Didn't even think of that!

MA
rolleyes.gif

I only scrub my foaling stall walls before & between each foal delivery. I get the dust off the walls & de cob web as needed (at least once monthly)........... I am in the process of painting the stalls again. Mix my left over paints & have at it. When they start looking dirty to where wiping won't get the stains off, I paint over them.

OH well heck, now you guys got me feeling like I'm all dirty now cause I just don't wash my stall walls down or nothing. I never was all "sterile" in the barn but now that you brought it up, maybe I had better get myself in gear here and get out and start disinfecting. I got enough troubles trying to keep the stalls dry after that blasted flood we had. How the heck are you supposed to wash down plywood anyhow? Boy, I'm feeling like one big flop right about now.

Hey don't sweat it Marty! I'm with you... my barn has too much wood and too many power outlets inside to turn a hose on the walls. I did it once and really regretted it (tripped a breaker and stained some beams). I brush down the cobwebs about once a month or when I'm feeling particularly ambitious. Oh, and I dry scrub off the bird doo more and more frequently since it seems we are raising pigeons in the barn now.
wacko.gif
One of these days when everyone is turned out, I'm going to drag hubby's air compressor into the barn and blow off the cobwebs in the really high corners.

As far as disinfecting, I might consider it if I had mares due the same season I was taking other horses out to show or doing a lot of stall swapping. So far, I haven't. But no, as rule, the only disinfecting I do are feed and water buckets/tubs every Sunday. And my kids are healthy and hardy, and knock wood, I've never had anything communicable go through the barn.

Suzanne

Duh....You are supposed to clean something other than the floor?????
smile.gif

BUT THE WALLS HAVE STUFF ON THEM!

wacko.gif
I almost feel like I need to take the walk of shame arcross the screne.

It's a small, not the greatest of barns. I guess maybe I feel keeping it clean makes it look better.

I think maybe I could let it go. Not sure, maybe I could.
unsure.gif

If I tell hubby you guys agree with him. I will NEVER live it down.

Or maybe I read this all wrong and all of you do it ever other week!!!!
biggrin.gif

Carolyn, I'm in awe! Yes my stall walls have pressed doo doo on them and once a long long time ago when I could do the doo doo I diid it but now
no.gif
, I just brush it down with my shovel and they have to deal. I confess to vacing the webs twice a year cuz it's all I can do and it takes me a full week, one stall a day. SIGH.

Funny you should bring this up!! I just spent this past weekend de-cobwebbing my barn rafters and celing with a broom. What a nasty dirty job that was!! The barn is 3 years old and I had never done it before. Just didn't even think of it. It looks so much better now!! We had chickens that would roost in the barn. They left yucky, smeared droppings on the stall dividers. Got out some paint and painted over it all. It really looks clean and fresh now. Then....I hung up some wooden horse signs and pictures that I had been buying on ebay. I didn't want to hang them before because it was yucky looking. Now it looks pretty!! I did lots of work down there last weekend, but it was really worth it as it looks so much better. Are there any better ways of getting cob webs down other then using a broom? Guess I'll have to try to keep up with keeping them down now.

my walls would have added windows if I put the power hose on them !!

Anyway that gives me an idea for the kids chores to-night. one nail brush each !!

Guess I am with everyone else...guilty of not keeping my barn walls spotless! I do stalls everyday, and only disinfect the foaling stalls during foaling season, cobwebs are done usually twice a year, more if it needs it. We have a large old barn, with alot of lights, and electrical outlets, I could never use a power washer, or hose to do the walls, in there. The walls are white so they definitely do show the dirt and webbby little things, I use a good old broom on that. Our floors are cement. When I lift my darn heavy mats and drag them out of the stalls to be washed I do wash the stall floors...but that only happens once or twice a year too. Guess my poor horses cant afford a maid to keep there "house" spotless so they will just have to live like horses! Corinne

I use to use a broom to knock down cobews, but learned that a shop vac did a better job without dumping everything on my head. It seems to go faster too. I have a nice big POWERFUL shop vac.

Run it a couple times a year, scrub the worst of the "mess" off after running the shop vac.

Always looks so nice when I do, I really moan at how fast the cobwebs come back!!

Power Washers are a gift from GOD. I wash the inside 12' high walls with bleach water once a year. The stall walls with bleach water 4 times a year. Feed buckets twice a day with bleach water.

I use a bleach dilution or Lysol between foalings and at the beginning of the foaling season. I just use a small backpack sprayer and saturate the walls which are wood. also do the floors but don't soak them, than lime them.

I try to pressure wash once a year. My barn is metal so pressure washing pretty much does the job. My horses are out of the barn most of the year in paddocks with shelters. Cuts down on all the cleaning so just keep paddocks clean.

our walls are not kept spotless... I need to get in there with a sponge and water...

But we keep the cobwebs away and broom the aisle floors every week!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back