Homozygous for the tobiano gene

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccy

Reaction score
Was just reading another thread which made me wonder, if you breed a homozygous stallion to a homozygous mare, will the resulting foals, or a percentage of them, be homozygous also?

We have a homozygous stallion, and a possibly homozygous mare, and just wondered.

If they are BOTH homozygous for tobiano then the foal for sure will be homozygous for tobiano!

-Gage-

I wasn't sure if it is 100% or just a certain percentage of the offspring. The stallion is definitely homozygous, but we have not had the mare tested to find out.

Thanks Gage
smile.gif

Beccy said:
I wasn't sure if it is 100% or just a certain percentage of the offspring. The stallion is definitely homozygous, but we have not had the mare tested to find out.Thanks Gage 
smile.gif

425430[/snapback]

your welcome! If your mare turns out not to be homozygous i think the foal will have a 50% chance of being homozygous! but it will for sure be pinto!

-Gage-

OK that is what I wanted to know, is what % of the offspring will also be homozygous, I know that all the offspring of the stud will be tobiano, even out of solid mares, it is the percentage of homozgous babies IF the mare is also homozygous that I was wondering about.

Beccy said:
Was just reading another thread which made me wonder, if you breed a homozygous stallion to a homozygous mare, will the resulting foals, or a percentage of them, be homozygous also?We have a homozygous stallion, and a possibly homozygous mare, and just wondered.

425419[/snapback]

Homozygous X Homozygous = 100% Homozygous

Homozygous X Heterozygous = 50% Homozygous, 50% Heterozygous

Homozygous X Solid = 100% heterozygous

Heterozygous X Heterozygous = 25% Homozygous, 50% Heterozygous, 25% Solid

Heterozygous X Solid = 50% Heterozygous, 50% Solid

Solid X Solid = 100% Solid

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!!
smile.gif
I will write that down and pin it to my bulletin board, as my cluttered brain will never keep all those combinations straight!
wacko.gif

Latest posts

Back