Homemade Fly Spray Recipe?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chelley

Reaction score
Hi, Flies are HORRIBLE and driving our poor horses crazy! Anyone have a tried and true recipe for making a good homemade fly spray? I read one thing that said the vinegar in one homemade spray faded someone's bay horse's coat-anyone else had that experience and if so was it significant? Really want something that is safe but very effective so they can have some relief. (Got a pregnant mare and *hopefully* will have a nursing foal soon, so needs to be safe for both.) Any other ideas for fly control? Thanks!!

I use a variety of things. I start with Fly Predators (you have to start them at the beginning of fly season and they won't work if you have other farms close by), I use SmartPak's feed through "Smart Bug-Off" and I mix my own neem oil spray. We were fly free last year.

I've used Dawn or other dish soap mixed with apple cider vinegar and water, forget the ratio, but it only seems to work for a few hours before it wears off, and doesn't repel the more stubborn biting flies.

I prefer the natural stuff, last year I got some UltraShield Green Fly Repellent Gel which worked well on faces/ears (I haven't tried the spray), and Deo-Lotion which is concentrated and you dilute it for spray, it worked really well I only sprayed them once a day or every other day. It's all natural and I still have half of the bottle to use this year! I got the smaller size of concentrate, it was the best deal of the natural fly sprays, cheaper than the Eqyss Marigold spray that I used to use.

I tried feeding Apple Cider Vinegar and Brewers Yeast (both as capsules/tablets), but didn't see any difference. I refuse to use the commercial bug supplements because I won't feed garlic to a horse, it's not good for them!

What is the Neem oil spray that you mix up?

And yes, I would prefer something natural. I hate spraying those chemicals on them, and especially with one being due this weekend. Right now she is just wearing a fly mask during the day but still haven't gotten anything else to help combat the flies. Hopefully will be going to a bigger farm store this weekend to see if I can find something like the DeoLotion that you mentioned, as our little local farm store carries just the very basics.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

To one freshly cleaned stall add:

One clean horse

One water bucket

One feed bucket (preferably sweet feed with molasses)

Heat to temperature of a nice Spring or Summer day for one to three hours.

You should notice flies almost immediately, more as time passes.

(For gnats, I'd suggest either trying to hold a conversation or eat something. They can't resist,)

default_giveup.gif
flies are awful this year..

I don't have a homemade recipe to share, but I do have a tip. If you go to the livestock section of your feed store, and look for fly spray in there, you could save a lot of money. Just make sure the label indicates it safe for horses and I'll save a lot of money. I buy a concentrated bottle and it honestly lasts me over year.... and I gotta lotta horses!

I mix ACV, water and a few drops of neem oil (high quality). I wouldn't use anything though on a pregnant mare without running it by my vet. Kim mentioned Eqyss Marigold spray. I've used that in the past and LOVE it although it is pricey. Also have heard of people using Avon Skin So Soft but I've never tried that. Jean, loved your fly recipe
default_yes.gif
No flies here yet cause we're still getting nights at freezing.

Latest posts

Back