Holy Smokes.....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
I have been looking back through prior postings for this info, but maybe you all can help me out.

My mare is at 327 days. On day 321 she finally started to develop a bag and today (327) she is dripping white milk-really, really white milk (Looks like 1%)-- from both teats --- now I mean it really comes out if I touch her teats. Bag still looks a bit like two halves, but is hard and warm. Her nipples are filled with milk and are pointing in the forward position. Her vulva appears as thought the mucous plug has started to break- bloody, crusty discharge. (Sorry for the graphics) Anyway, this milk is MILK and not colostrum! Need I worry? Did she 'bypass' the colostrum? I just want the foal to get all the immunities,you know.

Any ideas on the colostrum?

Peggy

I wouldn't panic until she foals. Her colostrum may not look like everyone else's. If it's sticky (even if it's white), it's probably fine in my experience
default_smile.png

Peggy, it's funny but in full size horses, owners/breeders expect them to get white milk before foaling. However, in all of my years with miniatures, most never do. As long as it is quite sticky as it dries, it likely contains plenty of colostrum. If in doubt, you can always have your vet run an IgG after the foal is born.

Sounds like your mare is ready to foal anytime. Is this another Lotso baby?
default_smile.png

My app mare's milk went white prior to foaling last year (foaled a few hours after I found the color change), baby was fine and is now a happy, healthy yearling

Yes, it is a Lotso baby!!!! I can't wait! Our first Lotso baby is beautiful
default_wub.png
Hope someday I can figure out how to post photos on here! lol

And, I just found out my new and wonderful equine vet is out of town til Sunday night! Oh dear, I just worry about my girls and their babies, you know
default_smile.png
This is our second and last mare to foal. She lost her baby last year two months early
default_sad.png

I appreciate the advice from you guys! Thanks so much! I will try to not worry now.

Peggy

How exciting! That must mean she will foal soon!

Shelia B.

Sounds like it will be soon, I have had several of my mares get the white milk before they foal, that to me is always the sign they will go soon, my jenny's also do that!!! Can't wait to see pics!!!!!!! Have you tried loading them to photobucket and then positng them? If you need help or want to post pics, and can't get it figured out just email them and I can post them for you if you like!!!!! Good luck with your mare & foal!
default_saludando.gif

We have one mare that you can get some milk out of pretty much year round, even when she isn't bred. Her milk is whiter than any of the other mares and we have never had a problem before. Like Becky posted earlier you can have an igg test run after the foal is here.

Both my mares up here (as opposed to my pinky in AR) had white milk prior to foaling. My colt's IgG was fine, but my filly's wasn't and she needed two plasma transfusions so be sure to check... But in my case, one fo the vets in the practice I use didn't think it sounded like the mares had enough of a bag and didn't like that they had only clear milk so had me put them on domperidone. My colt's dam had it 2 times and foaled, but my filly's had it 6x before she foaled and I wonder if that caused her to leak her colostrum? I won't ever know for sure but thank God we had the IgG done on the filly.

An IgG test is on my list, for sure! Thanks for the head's up!

Mare's colostrum must be in this am because it is really sticky now, but she still doesn't have much of a bag. Maybe about half of what I would expect. And, she is now rubbing her tail, chasing off the other horses (she is usually very docile), and just dropped me a cow pie. So, she is in the foaling stall.

So, now I wonder, "Holy Smokes....where is the baby?" lol

Peggy

An IgG test is on my list, for sure! Thanks for the head's up!

Mare's colostrum must be in this am because it is really sticky now, but she still doesn't have much of a bag. Maybe about half of what I would expect. And, she is now rubbing her tail, chasing off the other horses (she is usually very docile), and just dropped me a cow pie. So, she is in the foaling stall.

So, now I wonder, "Holy Smokes....where is the baby?" lol

Peggy

Could be SOON, good luck!!!
default_smile.png

If the milk is sticky, there's colostrum in it. Sounds like she could pop any minute!

Posting this for Peggy at albahurst...... Here is her new baby! I am starting a new thread so she can come on and give all the info!!!! What a cutie!
default_wub.png
Congrats Peggy!

Peggyfilly.jpg

Thank you, Michele, for helping me out with the posting! It is fun to share the joy
default_biggrin.png

Peggy

Latest posts

Back