HOLLY FOALED !!! MY BABY IS HERE!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I was on the forum and watching the camera here on my desk when I saw Holly lay flat down. She doesn't do that. She got up, and then went down flat again. I watched closely for a minute or so, then saw her hike her tail up and I hollered for Jerry to lets go! I just knew it was time.

The whole thing happened really fast. I didn't expect it. She began to push a little bit and we saw two legs, then the nose, then she quit pushing and got up! Then she laid back down and pushed some more, and it seemed like the baby wasn't comeing out really good at that point. So Jerry just grabbed on those legs and said "come on out here to daddy" and with a little bit of help, he/she came flying on out real easy. Just slipped on out there real slick. We got the bag off and dried the baby with towels and let him/her lay there. At that point, Holly went into the opposite corner like she was in shock or something. Like she just looked at me so helpless and said "what the heck just came outta me!" She didn't move at all for a few minutes.

I ran like heck to get some hay for fresh bedding. I just had some shavings down that needed to be changed. But darn it! Holly's tail was not wrapped either. I wasn't prepared for this to happen so soon! I came fumbeling out of the tack room with my foaling kit and did the navel, but he/she was struggling so much to jump up and get a move on, we didn't have time to see if we had a he or a she yet! But we do have a solid bay. That is all I can see for now.

By the time we dried off he/she ....he/she wanted to stand up! Yup, strong baby wanted to get on up but couldn't and was struggleing to walk. I got worried because his/her feet were so weird looking. I thought "oh no" something is wrong with his/her legs. But nope, just took a while.

He/she is now trotting in that stall! Honest to gosh you should see he/she go in there jumping and playing around.

OK so here's the problem: He/she has not nursed yet. It has been 1 1/2 hours. He/she wants very much to nurse and Holly is standing very good for it too. But he/she puts the face up under there and does not latch on. We do have a suck reflex. It sucks on our fingers. He/she has made atleast 50 attempts to nurse but doesn't hold his/her face up high enough. We have been holding the face up to help, but when we do that he/she backs up and doesn't like that. He/she isn't go to be stupid or anything is he/she?

Please can you tell me how long he/she can go without nursing? I am very concerned about that.

FETUS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD MARTY! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Go check the gender haha.

I was lying in bed, waiting to fall asleep, and something told me to check the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Cant wait to see if its a filly or a colt....LOL!!!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Congratulations Congratulations Congratulations[/SIZE]

I cant help with the eatting but am so happy that you finally got your baby

new_shocked.gif
Oh Happy Day!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Your baby has a good couple of hours yet--I've talked to several vets and they all said differenent time frames. I would keep trying it just takes a bit sometimes.

CONGRATS!!!

new_shocked.gif
aktion033.gif
WOOHOOO Marty! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'll say that was sure FAST and UNEXPECTED! When I saw those pics of her bag(or lack thereof), I was sure she has much longer to go! I am so excited for you!

What you can do, is to get some milk on your fingers, and let the foal have a taste. Keep doing this a few times, then put your arm between the mare's back legs, and offer the foal the milk filled finger again, only this time, very slowly pull your hand backwards towards Holly's bag. When she get her face up under there, give the teats a squirt into the foals face. Also, squirt a good amount of milk into your hand and rub it all over Holly';s bag. The foal will get a smell of this and will help it to find the nummies faster. Good Luck!
aktion033.gif
biggrin.gif

aktion033.gif
Congrats Marty!!!!!!!!!!

What is it???

Maybe give "it" a hand nursing.

Lee

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

CONGRATULATIONS

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Have you figured out it's sex yet???
488.gif

Marty,

Take your hand & squeeze some milk on it & rub on the baby's mouth, then rub some on her nipples. This usually works, sometimes they need that taste first. So what is it?

CONGRATULATIONS!! Holly and Marty
aktion033.gif
WOO HOO! Jerry and boys too.

Now you need to hold her there and help her find the spigots. Just guide her head with one hand and hold her rump with the other. She'll settle down as soon as she gets the first bit of milk down in that tummy.

You've still got a couple of hours before you need to get nervous. Keep trying.

OH My GAWD!!!!

It is finally here!!!!

With one of our fillies this year it took her three hours, we would milk out the mare, suck it up in the syringe, and give it to the baby. If it has a suck reflex, it should take a little at a time in. It helps them get the idea.

CONGRATS DEAR MARTY!!!!

YAY!!! Fetus is here, Fetus is here
biggrin.gif

Ok now Marty when you check the sex, check to see if there is one hole or two, it's more accurate than just checking for a ding-a-ling thing
new_shocked.gif

new_multi.gif
thumbup.gif
new_multi.gif

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
OH MARTY!! I AM SOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS>>>>NOW PLEEEEEASE>>>BOY OR GIRL>>>JEE WHIZ

YIPPEE!!!!

birthday.gif
Baby Fetus!!!!
aktion033.gif
or I read someone on here name him/her Festus after the guy on Gunsmoke......so Happy Festivus Day too! It is a DANDY of a day indeed!
yes.gif

This is for Jerry for pulling the baby to safety
jerry.gif

And for Mama Marty
firstprize.gif

Good job to both birthing coaches and way to go Holly!!!!
thumbup.gif

Hay cigars to papa Nick with my compliments!

BTW.....My gut says "it" is a girl.....am I right??????

I have a call into our vet. Holly's milk has not come in. There is a small bag but no milk coming from the teats. The baby also seems to be walking on the back of his fetlocks...not on his feet. His feet are very long and pointed. Very worried. Waiting for vet to call us back now have to go.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

OK We need to know if it is a filly or a colt.

But

I have got in the habit of taking an ouce or so in a syringe and giving the foal a little colostrim within the first hour and that seems to give them a lttle stength to keep trying. I know some say that it will hinder their suck reflex but I personallly have never found this to be true. It just seems to give them a boost of energy they need to keep trying.

Let us know how it is going.

Did I say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back