HOLLY FOALED !!! MY BABY IS HERE!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, congrats!!! Sounds like a great birth and that Holly is doing great. Is "IT" eating yet? Some of them take a good while to figure it out. And Fetus isvery cute!!!!!

Wow! I am so happy for you Marty.You deserve this so much.What an adorable little fetus too.Can't wait to see more pics of him/her when you float back down here to earth.Take care.

[SIZE=21pt]CONGRATS MARTY!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

I wish you the best of luck ever, And i hope you can figure anything out! At first i tought the post was going to say I WISH, then I seen the baby picture!! Is this a keeper?

also Marty, just try to be calm, I seen a picture of a baby walking on his fet locks so I e-mailed the lady to find out about it, and ask questions if it is normal and she said that is normal and it will go to his feet in a few days, after all he has been scrunched up there for quit a while, he's still probably pretty stiff!

-Gage-

Calm Marty...........just stay calm.

The pointed toes are more than likely just the milk toes, they will fall off.

A LOT of babies are down in their fetlocks and/or pasterns for the first few days and some straighten up in a matter of hours.

The milk would be my biggest concern at this point.

Is Holly's bag any bigger than it was earlier today??? While you are waiting for the vet try using a hot compress on Holly's bag, it will help encourage her milk to come down.

If the foal starts to wear down a bit before it gets to eat something, you can give him/her a bit of karo syrup, it will help keep his/her energy levels up.

Keep us updated!!!
wub.gif

Congratulations, Marty!

I hope all is fine w/Holly and the baby and let us know when you have time and energy.

I will keep you in my thoughts!

Liz M.

new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
birthday.gif
birthday.gif
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif
517.gif
517.gif

Ok Marty, take a breath. Its not unusual for the foal to be down on its fetlocks, he/she will come up with trimming and excersize. You can pull off the jello like things on his/her feet, that will help a little.

As for Holly, take a washcloth and some warm water and keep hot packing her bag. It will help the milk come down.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Robin

Last year when Strawberry had her first baby, she didn't have much & I had to give her Oxytocin to bring her milk in. Keep trying to milk her, that should help. Make sure that you are milking higher on the udder, not just the nipples. It won't take him long to come up on the feet once he starts running around. HAPPY DAY'S TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Marty.

What we do is the same as others have recommended - 20cc of colostrum and a bit of Karo for energy if the foal isn't nursing within an hour.

I know some will wait longer, but foals can get weak and lose interest in nursing, this can happen especially with a maiden mare that doesn't know how to help out! I have mares that will hike a leg and squat a bit to make sure the foal gets in 'position'.

Keep us posted.

Congrats. I am guessing by martys last post that it is a boy.

I like to leave the foal alone as much as possible; many of them seem to figure it out faster on their own than if we try to help them. However, if the foal has tried for awhile & just isn't getting it, I like to (as long as it's a co-operative mare) milk a little bit out of the mare & bottle feed the baby--have had the best luck with a kitten bottle! Once the foal gets that first taste of milk, he's that much more keen on finding the lunch basket.

Have you figured out yet--is it a boy or a girl??

[SIZE=21pt]CONGRATULATIONS!![/SIZE]

OXYITOSEN, are you sure that is what they gave your mare for milk, thats what makes hosres contract, so it is for when they are not contracting when they have a baby, but they gave some oxitosen to my mare when she had something stuck in her throught they gace the shot in her neck!

-Gage-

minijoyj said:
Last year when Strawberry had her first baby, she didn't have much & I had to give her Oxytocin to bring her milk in. Keep trying to milk her, that should help. Make sure that you are milking higher on the udder, not just the nipples. It won't take him long to come up on the feet once he starts running around. HAPPY DAY'S TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
444633[/snapback]

OH wow Marty That is So great! But do you Know what is even cooler?????? Today is my birthday also! Fetus and I share the same birthday! CONGARTULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

after all, they have survived for millions of years with out a human out there showing it, but I am sure that some baby's in the wild just dont get in and pass away, that when we step in and help are demestocated animals!

-Gage-

Minimor said:
I like to leave the foal alone as much as possible; many of them seem to figure it out faster on their own than if we try to help them.  However, if the foal has tried for awhile & just isn't getting it, I like to (as long as it's a co-operative mare) milk a little bit out of the mare & bottle feed the baby--have had the best luck with a kitten bottle!  Once the foal gets that first taste of milk, he's that much more keen on finding the lunch basket.
Have you figured out yet--is it a boy or a girl??

[SIZE=21pt]CONGRATULATIONS!![/SIZE]

444640[/snapback]

new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
OMG OMG OMG!!!!! HOLLY DID IT???

I was SO AFRAID it would be a problem! HORRAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about the not nursing yet.......Milk a little out of Holly and syringe it into the baby. Rub some milk on Holly's teat and let nature take it's course. (I know it's very frustrating. This is the hardest part of the birth, IMO!)

WHAT SEX IS IT???????
wacko.gif

I am so HAPPY for you!!!!!

MA
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

OMG OMG OMG ok haven't read a thing but YAY holly and marty wooohooo

Yep, that is what I have used it for. Look it up on the computer. You can use it to pass the placenta & for the milk to come in. I think I had to give it to her twice. I keep a bottle in the frig all the time.

Marty,

Just caught up on all the posts...........about Holly's milk not coming in.......

Warm compresses are good. Oxytocin is a shot we always have available "just incase". Your vet will be best to advise you on that. It is good for both bringing milk in and also encouraging the mare to pass the placenta.

Please let us know how things are going when you get a chance. I'm sure you are fretting by now.

MA

HELP PLEASE! Vet is on emergencys and can be hours till she can get to me.

I'm pretty sure it's a he now.

I wanted to dip the navel again and do the feet too in iodine. And when I went to do it, I think I may have dipped something else by mistake.......I think there's a little weaner there.

Baby is nursing "something" now. I see no milk, I feel no milk, but when Jerry gets under there his fingers come out with clear goo......is that the colostrum???? Baby is latched on now, makes a lot of noise under there but still, from my last experiences with this I was able to easily express white milk. Baby is under there almost constantly too every few minutes. I feel he is just not getting enough of whatever is there but maybe this is normal? Afterwards, he takes off trotting around like ZOOOOOMMMMM! So he must be getting something, right?

He pooped too! He pooped out this big lonnnnnng turd like a dog. What the heck!

Holly loves him. She keeps kissing him, licking him.

Right now they are taking a rest. They are laying down together so cute and cuddleing with eachother.

Ebbie is on one side of here and was absoultey causeing a racket during the actual birth. I don't know if she thought that Holly was sick or hurt or something but she was loosing her mind. She is very upset about this. She wants in with the baby. She has been digging and digging trying to dig her way into the stall with Holly. Banging on the walls, rearing, screaming. She finally calmed down and shut up.

Yes that goo is colsotrum. SHe might not get her milk in for a few hours. However since she has colsotrum I wouldnt worry about the milk yet.

OMG OMG OMG it is Ruffn tuff's b'day....shouldn't this foal have her name sort of
new_shocked.gif
like prancers Rough and tough OMG OMG OMG I cannot believe you and holly have a foal

......... WOOOOOHOOOOOO

Latest posts

Back