Hog wire for stalls?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevycouple

Reaction score
I was thinking of using hog wire with a wood trim for my stalls...for everyone with experience is that a safe idea for stalls. We have decided to build two 6*9 and one 7*8...that is the best way to get three stalls in the space we have for them. Then they will also have there 20*20 turn out. The whole barn is matted and the placement of the gates allows them to stay open for everyone to go out into the sunshine. But anyways let me know about the hog wire thing.

If what I think is hogwire, I would not use it. I am thinking of fencing with a twist to it. The reason I say this is they rub on it and it pulls mane and tail out real bad. Maybe I am thinking of something else.

I have used Cattle Panels, the 16' welded wire panels, with good success for pends and such. The only suggestion I have on that is dont place the smaller openings down as they are great to catch feet in.

We use cattle panels on the outside around the padock.

ET2.jpg

Haven't used it for stalls. Guess it depends on how well your horses get along?

Those stall sizes may be ok just to bring horses into feed them but are entirely way too small for them to be locked up in. Hog wire is not a good choice at all in my estimation. I'd use another option and rethink your set up. Possibly dividing your area in half instead of three or just have one big run in. You can use board planks, plywood, or metal panels like some people have or cattle panels. I have cattle panels for a round pen but they do have sharp edges along the top and are a good size for a head to get stuck in so I don't leave anyone in there untattened. If you do a google search and put in words like "stall dividers" you will come up with many options.

I use hog wire for my stall fronts/doors. I have a board across the top to help them from bending when the horses rub on them. I haven't had any problem with them at all actually. Because of my set-up and my barn aisle being so narrow, they work great because they do have a little bend, yet are still sturdy.

Erin

Edited to add a picture...

This is what I mean by "hog panels"...see the metal fencing behind the mares. The green one in the middle is sheep panel, but the ones on either side is hog panel. The squares are larger on top, but get narrower lengthwise as they go down. Thats what I use for my stalls.

Also, it's welded wire, not twisted or whatever.

3-29-0556.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hog panels as I know them, and as Erin has used, are just the same as cattle panels, but they are shorter...36" instead of 48" I believe. So if cattle panels are good, so are hog panels, so long as they are high enough to keep your little ones in. (Mine would do the cha cha right over the top...)

Six feet is awfully small if you have any other options...I tend to agree with Marty as to dividing your barn into two instead of three stalls.

I agree about the size of the stalls. My internal stalls are 7 X 8, but they are only in there a short while and the dividing walls are three foot high so they are sort of living together but not actually in a bunch. The rest are shed row and range from 20 X 18 through 12 X 12 to two 7 X 12 which is the very smallest I would use as actual live in stalls. I might add that all the" turnouts" / run ins are a minimum of 1/2 acre, with grazing. When my horses go out to play I like to see them able to run!! I know not everyone has the facilities that I do, but I am old school when it comes to horse keeping- I got the horses because I had the facilities, if I had not been able to find the land I would not have been able to get the horses. I like to be able to look out and see horses grazing.

I use both hog panels and cattle panels around in different areas.

MooreAcres, I do recommend turning your fencing over. Those narrower spaces are perfect for a foal leg to go through and get stuck.
new_shocked.gif

Robin

If all horses get along just leave it one big area with separate feeding areas. You may have tp supervise to be sure each gets what it theirs.

We use hog panels outlined with wood as stall dividers in our barn. They are sturdy and the horses can see each other. I really like the open feel of the barn. We have about 2 feet of wood at the bottom, wood at the top and then 2x4's in the middle going vertically. Very sturdy! The way the panels are made, they have smaller openings on one side and wider at the other. We put the smallest openings towards the floor (on top of the 2 feet of wood). That way the horses can't get their hooves caught or their noses through. Hog panels are just like cow panels, but not as tall. We've had it set up that way for about 2 years with no problems. I really like them!!

[SIZE=14pt]We use hog pannels for our fencing except in the woods where we use cattle pannels because they are taller. We set them upside down tho so the narrower slats are at the top in case anyone rolls and gets feet thru they can get up easier without injury.[/SIZE]

20x20 isnt enough room for three minis to exercise. They need running space and 20 feet isnt really enough. Our smallest lot is 50x100.

Lyn

What Lyn J said..............except ours are 48". Don't know if they are called hog panels or cattle panels, with the closer-together wires at one end, but are 48." I felt 36 inches was just too short for fencing. Most dogs can't jump 48 either. Just make sure they're upside down, I'd say.

I've also used it to cut across a barn hall (in my old barn). At that time, didn't have a run-in & wanted horses to be able to come inside anytime from weather. Cut it to fit across, clipped it to the walls with double ended snaps clipped onto crosstie rings with the little squares nailed to walls. Worked good. Easy to move too.
saludando.gif

Well first off let me explain a little further. I have 5 acres so yes I have the property for them. My big horses live in a 12*12 stall and they are perfectly happy because everyone gets worked daily. I also have a 100*200 paddock that I rotate the horses in. The mini barn is a small 20*12 building that we didn't use and I thought it would be perfect for them. The 20*20 turn out isn't there pasture it is a stall run. We are getting a 140*240 roping arena next week and have future plans to build another paddock about the same size as the first. I like my horses to have there own place for quiet time and feeding time. So they won't be living in there stalls 100% of the time. I am building three temporary style stalls because I am thinking in the future. I am getting my colt that will be gelded, but what I REALLY want is a Stallion and figure that I will want a mare once I get my stallion. I have a place closer to my house for foaling mares out. I don't want to use that area all the time because of ventilation issues. But anyway there is my deal and thank for the imput of the hog wire.

I think people confused hog wire and hog panels and it looks like you use hog panels. I love them and use them for a variety of things!

I've done exactly this....

I've also used it to cut across a barn hall (in my old barn). At that time, didn't have a run-in & wanted horses to be able to come inside anytime from weather. Cut it to fit across, clipped it to the walls with double ended snaps clipped onto crosstie rings with the little squares nailed to walls. Worked good. Easy to move too. 
AND MORE........
I use cut sections of them instead of the usual stall doors so that the minis can look out (they are sturdy and low enough for them to put their heads over). My box stalls were also designed for big horses so the bottom half is solid wood and they would be in prison and not be able to see anything or anyone if I just shut the doors and left them. The hog panel sections work out great. I also have taken a 12X12 stall and using the same method quoted above I have divided the stall into two 6X6 stalls. I've only done this for minis that are smaller in size and are turned out every day all day plus usually exercised/worked every day. I wanted them to have their own private area/space at night and during feeding time. I felt they had plenty of room.

I think moveable and changeable stalls are a great idea because what you need changes all the time. I wish my barn had more flexibility.

Latest posts

Back