Hmmmmmmmmm...problem mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
I have a little 27.5" mare, 5 years old, who I bred last year for the first time. She WAS checked in foal..but came up open this spring, so must have reabsorbed. She DID get fat over the winter, as I was feeding her with the assumption she was pregnant! I started breeding her again early June. She had a normal cycle & stood well for the stallion. 24 days later...she came back in. Bred thru another cycle.... again, everything appeared normal. 30 days later, she is cycling AGAIN. But this time....the stallion is very "ho-hum" about her. He did bred her two days ago...but took a looooong time for him to get worked up enough to actually complete the deed. She is still VERY much in heat...follows him around, squats, winks, pees in his face...but he just isn't interested.
unsure.gif
I know most stallions won't breed a mare, unless in heavy heat (ovulated)....but she acts like she is most definitely ready....why isn't he? Never had this problem before...do you think she could have an infection? I am getting the vet out here soon to check her out....but in the meantime, just thought I'd see if any of you have had this sort of problem before & if so, what did you do about it? I would REALLY like to get this girl bred this year.
yes.gif

BTW....as soon as I knew for sure she wasn't pregnant this spring...she was put on a diet. She still needs to lose some, but she's not heavy enough to make me think that could be the problem. (no cresty neck, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
This late in the breeding season it could be just because it's too dang hot for the stallion to get interested! My vet says there's a lot of that going around. Very strange weather this year and it seems to be affecting everything - foaling, breeding, weaning, hay, etc. Also, is this a young stallion? Has he produced foals before? Maybe lots of factors at work here.

Guess I should have mentioned....this is a 13 year old "proven" stallion.

dona

my kandi kay and patches both showed STRONG heat cycles all fall so i assumed neither were in foal. WRONG. I really never believed that some pregnant mares show heat until this happened to me. And like you by Sept the stallions wouldnt even look at them because i think they knew those mares were bred.

This kind of mare makes it very hard to know when they are in foal. In fact kandi kay was peeing for the stallion the very day she aborted last month. Crazy!! My vet is going to check her thyroid as it is a little swollen and we think this may be why she kept showing heat and then aborted.

I did have a mare quite a few years back, who would routinely cycle every month & stand to be bred.....all spring & summer! Then she would have a foal from the first breeding the following spring.
wacko.gif
But....she did this every year.

With Sweetie....last year she was bred once & never came back in.

This year....it's just over & over & over.
rolleyes.gif

Dona I see this happen all the time. Why? Why? Why? do these mares just take these stallions for granted like this? WHY I ask you, why?

She has let herself go.......and now he has lost interest and is looking elsewhere in other available fields for his own gratification.

This girl needs a complete makeover.

First we will take off a few pounds on the tread mill. Ooh, la, la....she is tightening up now and looking mighty shall we say "sexy" now?

Then we will work on that dastardly hair. My, my, what a mess. This calls for a pro. We shall call in a professional clipping artist! Then we soak her in a bliss of bubbles and conditioner. Adorn her with scrunchies too!

Then we must do her little toes. How about silver? He'll go absolutely wild.

Now, for the mood music. Something soft and romantic. Let's try Surfer Girl. Hey, it always worked for me!

There. She's all ready now. Try again.

We have a mare with a low thyroid..the stallion would not breed her..now she is on her meds and he does fine..Is her throid function normal??
unsure.gif

Marty said:
Dona I see this happen all the time. Why?  Why? Why? do these mares just take these stallions for granted like this? WHY I ask you, why?
She has let herself go.......and now he has lost interest and is looking elsewhere in other available fields for his own gratification.

This girl needs a complete makeover.

First we will take off a few pounds on the tread mill. Ooh, la, la....she is tightening up now and looking mighty shall we say "sexy" now?

Then we will work on that dastardly hair. My, my, what a mess. This calls for a pro. We shall call in a professional clipping artist! Then we soak her in a bliss of bubbles and conditioner.  Adorn her with scrunchies too!

Then we must do her little toes. How about silver? He'll go absolutely wild.

Now, for the mood music. Something soft and romantic. Let's try Surfer Girl. Hey, it always worked for me!

There. She's all ready now. Try again.

441163[/snapback]

Marty....you make me GIGGLE!
laugh.gif

littlesteppers said:
We have a mare with a low thyroid..the stallion would not breed her..now she is on her meds and he does fine..Is her throid function normal??
unsure.gif

441168[/snapback]

That's something I'm going to have the vet check when he is here....along with checking her for any "infections" she may have going on.

LOL!!!! Marty you are too funny!
biggrin.gif

I'm having a problem with one of my mares. Stary Night foaled this spring for the first time in 3 years. I bred her back on her foal heat to Captain. I assumed she was in foal as I didn't notice her back in but didn't tease her regularly either. A few weeks ago, I noticed her by Captains fence and she was in. Bred her through that cycle. Last night I thought she was being a little friendly. Tonight she's in but these two cycles she's been very subtle. If you weren't paying attention, you'd miss it. I'm going to have my vet out to check her. Maybe culture. I really need her to get in foal! Now Captain has maintained his interest and if it wasn't for him squealing around, I probably would never have known Stary Night is in heat.

On the other hand, is your little stallion used to hand breeding or pasture breeding? Flash is mostly pasture bred here and he does it his way! He can have a mare in flaming heat, following him around, etc, and he will ignore her until he's ready. I can always tell when he's doing the deed because he screams at the top of his lungs!
rolleyes.gif

I was told when I bought Destiny, that he was a pasture breeding stallion. But I hand bred him to Sweetie last year, AND this year with no problems...until this week.
sad.gif
I have had Sweetie running with him in the stallion run...so I could tell when/if she came back in. I like to hand breed tho, so I know for sure the act is being "accomplished". Destiny tends to "shoot too high"...if you know what I mean.
whistling.gif
He's only 27"....but Sweetie is only 27.5" and I think Destiny is used to taller mares!
laugh.gif
So....I usually have to "guide" him down & to the right spot with her.
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back