Hives

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I mentioned in my other post about Kitty getting hives on her one side. It got better
default_smile.png
. But they are back and all over her body and enlarged. We have given her an oat meal bath, dex azium and banamine. If she is not any better we are having the vet out. The farrier did put fly spray on and she broke out a little bit on Tuesday. Any ideas on what we should do? Today I noticed some sort of burn mark on her right hind.

I had a horse break out badly several times, he was white and looked like a giant marshmallow it was so bad. The vet biopsied one of the lesions, it came back allergic to bug bites, specifically the 'no seeums' flies here in Florida. I kept a fly sheet on him and spray, eventually he stopped reacting. I think we gave him antihistamine, it has been a long time ago.

2 cc's of dexium or dexamethsone IV. Plain rinse with cool water - don't put anything more on her coat. It could make it worse. Keep her inside and away from bugs.

If it's not better soon or she starts showing other signs (even a touch of respiratory ones) call your vet she may need epinephrine - DO NOT try to give that yourself. Real risk of cardiac issues if she doesn't need it or the dose is too high - but perfectly safe if your vet really feels she needs it.

If you think its an allergy (sounds like it to me) have her tested. We put my old mare on an allergy shot regimen custom made for her and it fixed her allergies. It runs about $150 for a years worth of shots. She was 15 and so heavey euthanasia was close. Now she's 23 and a bad day is when her eyes get a smidge gunky!

As someone with horrid skin allergies I sympathize with her!

and also if you clipped the horse it could be the oil, or whatever you were dipping your blades in

I don't know what it was called. The barn manager was with the farrier. I have not reclipped her since last month. She is so much better.

Do not give Dexamethasone and Banamine together;

1) Banamine has little to no effect on allergic reactions/hives. Even if the hives are producing colicky symptoms don't give Banamine as making the hives go away will make the colicky symptoms go away anyway.

2) The same stomach ulcer issues Banamine and Bute can cause, Dexamethasine can cause too. Adding any of those drugs together is not only not safer, it is in fact more dangerous as the toxic effects are additive. The stomach effects are even worse if given orally.

Dr. Taylor

Do not give Dexamethasone and Banamine together;

1) Banamine has little to no effect on allergic reactions/hives. Even if the hives are producing colicky symptoms don't give Banamine as making the hives go away will make the colicky symptoms go away anyway.

2) The same stomach ulcer issues Banamine and Bute can cause, Dexamethasine can cause too. Adding any of those drugs together is not only not safer, it is in fact more dangerous as the toxic effects are additive. The stomach effects are even worse if given orally.

Dr. Taylor
Thanks for the advice. The barn manager used to work at Blue Ridge Equine Clinic. So she has experience with meds and other stuff.

Back