Hives after being clipped

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My paint mare has hives today after being clipped. I used the same blade wash that I used last time. Any ideas why this happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose if the horse has sensitive skin the heat or vibration of the clipper blades could cause hives (like razor burn). But its probably more likely that its a reaction to the sun or to bug bites intensified because the hair is short now and not protecting the skin. Did the hives start right after her hair cut or did they take a while to appear? Did you bathe her before clipping? Maybe not all of the shampoo rinsed out. Did she get fly sprayed? Maybe that is irritating her skin. Are the hives all over ir localized? If she gets very uncomfortable or rhe hives do not get better soon I'd call the vet and get some dexamenthasone to make her feel better. Hives are no fun. Im sorry your mare has them.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose if the horse has sensitive skin the heat or vibration of the clipper blades could cause hives (like razor burn). But its probably more likely that its a reaction to the sun or to bug bites intensified because the hair is short now and not protecting the skin. Did the hives start right after her hair cut or did they take a while to appear? Did you bathe her before clipping? Maybe not all of the shampoo rinsed out. Did she get fly sprayed? Maybe that is irritating her skin. Are the hives all over ir localized? If she gets very uncomfortable or rhe hives do not get better soon I'd call the vet and get some dexamenthasone to make her feel better. Hives are no fun. Im sorry your mare has them.
default_sad.png
The hives appeared this morning. Yes I rinsed out all the soap No I did not fly spray her. The hives are only on her side. Her neck and back are fine. We did give her dex. Should I finish clipping her? Thanks

Wait til her hives clear up before considering finishing clipping. And, even though she wasn't bothered by the blade wash last year, she might be this year; just like us, they can develop an allergy at any time, even to something you thought was fine before. Are her hives getting better after giving her the dex?

Definitely keep her out of the sun. It could be sun poisoning. I get it nearly every spring when I am first exposed to the sun. After the initial flareup, I am usually fine. Hopefully the dex will give her relief. I am sure she is miserable.

If you have a light sheet to put over her it might help. I've used an old bed sheet attached with duct tape when desperate.

I would try a light, experimental spritz of fly spray, perhaps on one side or in one spot and then monitor it. I don't think it's good for her to have no insect protection.

Has she had any vaccinations recently? A horse I used to have appeared to be affected after a tetanus shot. The immune system is affected.

I wouldn't finish clipping until her hives go away. I agree that the sun might be irritating her skin. Maybe a cool hosing off would offer her some relief. How did she handle clipping? Does it stress her out? I have seen some horses get stress hives. Have you changed bedding brands recently? Maybe she is allergic to that. Have you checked around her paddock for stinging plants like thistle or nettle? Ive had horses roll in nettles and welt up something fierce. Hope she feels better soon.

the hives are better with the dex. she had vaccinations in march. She is a easy to clip and does not get stressed. No to the bedding change. I gave her a bath with fungus shampoo. I will look tomorrow morning. Thanks again for the help.

Is it possible the hives were already, under her hair? Perhaps it's a reaction to one of the vaccines, since they were given during the last 90 days.

Or, perhaps it's a reaction to the fungal shampoo. Why did she need to be bathed in it?

I'll keep racking my brain..worked with an Arab who did this about this time every year (in Texas), but I can't remember what pasture plant Harlan said it was. Not nettles. We did ease it by rinsing with 5 gallons of water that had 2 cups of apple cider vinegar added. Sponge it over her until it starts to bead off--you'll be able to tell the difference--and if you don't use it all, save for next day.

I like the idea of rinsing with the apple cider vinegar. Vinegar can neutralize ph and it is also a germ killer.

I always bathe my horses in anti fungal shampoo the first bath after clipping. All that hair can hide fungal spores.

Hope your horse is better by now.

Is it possible the hives were already, under her hair? Perhaps it's a reaction to one of the vaccines, since they were given during the last 90 days.

Or, perhaps it's a reaction to the fungal shampoo. Why did she need to be bathed in it?

I'll keep racking my brain..worked with an Arab who did this about this time every year (in Texas), but I can't remember what pasture plant Harlan said it was. Not nettles. We did ease it by rinsing with 5 gallons of water that had 2 cups of apple cider vinegar added. Sponge it over her until it starts to bead off--you'll be able to tell the difference--and if you don't use it all, save for next day.
Maybe and true. Because of the hives. We do that with our bigger horses I will try that today.

Hives are a response to an allergic reaction. What could bring them on in any one individual is frequently hard to pin down.

The real key is to treat them appropriately and quickly. Hives that don't go away quickly can lead to skin infections and more protracted resolution. We want 100% resolution, not just improvement.

Dr. Taylor

Back