Hitching miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minister man

Reaction score
If you were reading my other post about the foal, you know that I was planning to breed a 4 in hand, but this weeks set back has me questioning a few things.

I have never hooked of driven a 4 in hand, but I was thinking it would be a novelty.... But so would be a three abreast. It would offer more power than a team, exercise three horses at once, and according to what I can read about it, it steers the same as a team. I have a fellow in my church that shows clydes and they show a three abreast so I can get advice from them about the hooking and driving. But the equipment has to be smaller.

I found this picture of the three horse evener, but I am wondering if any body has one for mini's that could help me with the measurements for building the whiffle trees and eveners. three horse hitch evener.jpgI am wondering the length to the whiffle trees, the team evener, and the over all evener. Does anyone happen to know what the length of a miniature horse Pole?

Hey Mr.Man! I moved your thread to the "Driving Miniature Horses" section to get you some responses quicker. Most of the drivers are very active over there and all of them are happy to help.

Funny you should ask about three abreast. My dad drives Fjords and is looking into this as well. It's a little easier to find info for the big guys though.

Have you ever considered a unicorn hitch? Putting the third horse out front? Not as much pulling power as three wide but exercises 3 at the same time and a less complicated set-up.

Can't wait to see what others have to say. NorthWolf hitches her equines up in all different configurations and may have some advice on 3-wide.

Last edited:
If you were reading my other post about the foal, you know that I was planning to breed a 4 in hand, but this weeks set back has me questioning a few things.

I have never hooked of driven a 4 in hand, but I was thinking it would be a novelty.... But so would be a three abreast. It would offer more power than a team, exercise three horses at once, and according to what I can read about it, it steers the same as a team. I have a fellow in my church that shows clydes and they show a three abreast so I can get advice from them about the hooking and driving. But the equipment has to be smaller.

I found this picture of the three horse evener, but I am wondering if any body has one for mini's that could help me with the measurements for building the whiffle trees and eveners. View attachment 40054I am wondering the length to the whiffle trees, the team evener, and the over all evener. Does anyone happen to know what the length of a miniature horse Pole?
I will try to get the measurements from Kelly - we have done all the hitches - there are several videos on the PPP FB you can watch, and maybe pause them to see how Kelly has rigged things - but indeed, I will try to post the measurements you need here!

LOL!!! I just put one together today to drive a pick-axe! I can get measurements tomorrow afternoon.

Yes, a three abreast is easier to drive then a four in hand, depending on what you are doing.

A four in hand requires planning ahead as you drive and is challenging and rewarding.

I drive my minis in a three abreast regularly. Yes, it's much easier to drive than a 4 in hand, just like a team, but you've more power and fun :D
I've never used an evener. I think, the evener is great for a working horse team, but if you want to do normal and sporty driving outside, an evener wouldn't be practical. My own carriage has shafts for the middle horse with extensions and singletrees on both sides. Very simple construction and it works great. It may be possible to modificate an usual buggy to drive with three horses abreast.

I was thinking about this today, and it I had the middle horse in the shaves, and one horse one each side of her, then she would wear a full harness, to carry the shaves and the breaching to hold it back. Then the outside horses, really only need a lead team harness with no breaching, right?

I use to drive a three abreast chariot in parades, it was a blast! It was set up where the strongest horse was in the center. He carried the chariot and provided the braking for the chariot through the Breeching. The two side horses had breechingless harness with trace carriers straps. The trees were mounted to a sold bar but each single tree moved as a single unit. This kept everyone in line, which is super important for the chariot.

Here is a photo.

Attachments

• three abreast chariot.jpg
    three abreast chariot.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 8
So cool! Chariots are amazing to watch. I can imagine that driving one is a blast and a bit scary at the same time.

Latest posts

Back