Hillary’s driving journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We did it! Hillary has her first drive on Wednesday and she was fantastic! We stayed in my ring and did walk, trot, and many turning exercises. She was fantastic! I’m Thursday we hitched again started in the ring then went down a trail and she was so good! I think she really enjoys it. I definitely do! I can’t wait to continue! (I figure I’ll do some updates on her every now and then and ask questions and share experiencess)

Attachments

• B493D8F4-0A2F-4F9B-8F5E-1CA841018A61.jpeg
    B493D8F4-0A2F-4F9B-8F5E-1CA841018A61.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 0504DBFF-954F-480F-AE6C-3E87A2AD17DB.jpeg
    0504DBFF-954F-480F-AE6C-3E87A2AD17DB.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 14
Her attitude definitely looks as though she understands her job. Very exciting for you. She looks alot like my Midnight, also in training. What kind of bit are you using?
Thank you! I’m using a single jointed eggbutt snaffle right now. It works great for her as she is super sensitive and responsive! I would love to try a Mullen mouth or a double jointed and just to see if she likes anything else!

Congratulations! You both look so happy :D she looks lovely hitched to the cart and already seems to know and enjoy her job.:)

Hillary has been doing so great with her driving lately! Last weekend a friend trailered her mini over and we went out on a “trail drive” and both minis had never been in company(to our knowledge) before this and they were fantastic! We were out on the cranberry bogs for almost 2 hours!

She continues to drive in an open bridle and does great in it. I do want to work a little more on blinkers because I would love to enter some driving classes in our area so we’ll see how that goes. She is such a rock solid horse, she has never spooked and goes along nice and easy. She is such a pleasure to work with!

Attachments

• 3C27AE8D-DDEC-40B0-A7D4-9447607F42C8.jpeg
    3C27AE8D-DDEC-40B0-A7D4-9447607F42C8.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1
Hillary has been doing so great with her driving lately! Last weekend a friend trailered her mini over and we went out on a “trail drive” and both minis had never been in company(to our knowledge) before this and they were fantastic! We were out on the cranberry bogs for almost 2 hours!

She continues to drive in an open bridle and does great in it. I do want to work a little more on blinkers because I would love to enter some driving classes in our area so we’ll see how that goes. She is such a rock solid horse, she has never spooked and goes along nice and easy. She is such a pleasure to work with!
You obviously have a gem.

Update on Hillary! It’s been so hot lately so we haven’t been able to drive a lot but it was cool enough today for a drive. We went out about a mile on the road and she was great! We tried a new bit because she was using a single jointed egg butt snaffle and she seemed really irritated by that bit. She threw her head and tried to “spit out” the bit during the drives. I opted for a Mullen mouth bit figuring less joint action is better for her tiny mouth and we have success! Hillary loves the new bit and was an absolute dream to drive the whole time. I also have a new harness on the way for her so we’re on track for a very happy pony!

Glad to hear she is enjoying her job!
It's always interesting with bits. I have one just like her who dislikes a jointed snaffle and goes in a Mullen and my other one is the opposite. He hates a Mullen and is happy in a snaffle. Horses!

Latest posts

Back