Hiking with Minis and Ponies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I start walking with my mini, will I need boots? Will be walking on paved road, grass, and dirt/mud trails. If so, I'll start a new thread for my boot questions. ;) Enjoying all these posts! Can't wait to join in the fun!
If you mean for yourself that is totally a personal choice for sure!

If you mean for your ponies then it will depend on what kind of footing they live on and how sensitive their feet are as the terrain changes. My roads are hard packed with large sharp rocks so my ponies are more comfortable wearing their boots on that kind of terrain. When we hike in the mountains and the trails are more dirt they don't need their boots for that. When we walk in the pasture they don't wear their boots. It really depends on the terrain and their overall hoof health!

GUess it depends on how far you intend to walk. I have trouble finding boots/ tennis shoes that are comfortable so I just wear my Western Chief clogs. My walking terrain is varied also.
Yesterday when we were walking on the dirt road, there was a rattlesnake laying on the side. Yikes. Someone had run over it, so it was dead, thank goodness. The horses were not startled, but I was!
Thank you, Marsha - glad the snake was dead! I should have clarified. I meant to ask if my mini should wear boots. lol Sometimes my brain gets ahead of my fingers.

If you mean for yourself that is totally a personal choice for sure!

If you mean for your ponies then it will depend on what kind of footing they live on and how sensitive their feet are as the terrain changes. My roads are hard packed with large sharp rocks so my ponies are more comfortable wearing their boots on that kind of terrain. When we hike in the mountains and the trails are more dirt they don't need their boots for that. When we walk in the pasture they don't wear their boots. It really depends on the terrain and their overall hoof health!
Thank you! Yes, I meant for my mini. lol Sorry for the confusion.

I think it totally depends on your horse. My guy goes over the rocky/rooty trails we have barefoot with no issues. His feet will only chip if they need a trim! If I were doing a lot of miles on pavement at speeds above a walk then I would probably want him to have some kind of protection. If you're just walking I would say just keep an eye on them - if they are gimping over the rocks or wearing their feet down too fast, then give them protection. If not then you're fine although for lots of trotting on pavement I'd want boots for concussion protection.

I think it totally depends on your horse. My guy goes over the rocky/rooty trails we have barefoot with no issues. His feet will only chip if they need a trim! If I were doing a lot of miles on pavement at speeds above a walk then I would probably want him to have some kind of protection. If you're just walking I would say just keep an eye on them - if they are gimping over the rocks or wearing their feet down too fast, then give them protection. If not then you're fine although for lots of trotting on pavement I'd want boots for concussion protection.
Thank you! :)

I'm not sure which forum would be the most appropriate for this subject.
View attachment 43267

I love tracking my time and miles driving but haven't been driving much at all this year. Mostly I've been walking and hiking with my two boys. We have really put the miles down, having walked 92 miles since January. This month we have really started to walk so we can all get legged up for some more difficult and long hikes this summer. I would like to hike into some mountain lakes and camp with my two ponies a few times this summer!

View attachment 43268

I thought it would be fun for some of us that walk our ponies and don't always drive, or in some cases some may not drive at all, to track our miles. If there is interest in this let's discuss! And maybe if someone knows just which forum this would fit into the best let me know :)

Hi
I am so happy to have come upon this thread. I love to hike with my minis but don’t know anyone in my area-Burlington VT- who does. I have ridden around my state camping with my horse and want to do the same with my littles. Or head west into more wide open country.
I am curious what boots you use? And also if anyone has found a pack system for small horses?

I am also keeping track of my mileage with Map my Walk.
Thanks,
Mink

Welcome Mink! Backpacking sounds like a wonderful idea!

I have a pair of EZ Boots for my mini that has worked for our purpose. The boots are two years old and holding up well to date.
Thanks for your reply. I didn’t know Easyboot makes mini sizes. I will have a look. I used the their Epics when trekking on my large horse but they were a bear to put on.
Do you do a lot of hiking with your horses?

You’re welcome , Mink and I apologize for such a late reply! I’ve tried to walk several times a week anywhere from a short walk 20 minutes or so ro an hour or more. We just walk in our local rural area so no trekking in exotic or far flung places! ;)

Latest posts

Back