High Humidity questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
We all know it's extremely hot out, but the humidity here is worse! I try to keep my horses cool, but I have several elderly ones and when I go out it is hard to breath out there. I try to feed real early and late so they spend most of their time in run-ins or in the barns. I feel though that it is not enough as far as humidity goes, so far so good I haven't noticed anyone haveing any respiration issues, but I'm concerned about my old guys. Is there somthing else I can do?

Plenty of shade and if inside, with fans blowing. And lots of fresh water. One friend had designed her own kind of "swamp cooler" where she set her sprinkler in a stationery upright position with a huge fan behind it, blowing the mist over the horses in an open paddock. They loved it because it kept them cooler.

Same thing here. Fans fans fans, hoses rinses, cool water and I do soak beet pulp full strength in Gatorade on this kind of day. I really worry about my old one too. Sonny is 32 and I get in a panic about him. Somedays when I can't hardly breathe I hose him, hose me, then hose him, then hose me!

I, too, have several oldies.......the humidity here is about 77 now with temps 96-102 (add "feel like" to that). When I go out and come in, it's straight to the shower! LOL. But, if there is a breeze, the animals seem fine. They sweat some but not excessively, they use the shade trees and run-in shade, plenty of fresh cool water, etc. They are pretty self-motivated to rest and stay in the shade. I go stand in their shade places to test the temps for myself. It is definately cooler there! Sun beating on you is harder that "just" the heat.

A breeze seems to be really helpful, so a fan if in the barn would be nice. Otherwise, they seem to be doing better with it than I am. It has a lot to do with the air conditioning we use -- IMO -- poor tolerance.

Latest posts

Back