High Glucose Levels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I just saw this! I tried triple crown senior and he went off feed completely. He is quite picky so I think it's just a matter of finding a balancer that he will eat. A local feed dealer suggested Hygain Zero...I might pick up a bag of that today to try. I also found some herbal supplements for him from a company in Australia
Not quite that picky, but I have one that doesn't care for Triple Crown Senior, but he does like the regional brand senior, so I give that to him, even though it's not as low carb as I'd like to feed him. [The rest of the herd happily eats TC Senior. They are fickle little critters.]

Not quite that picky, but I have one that doesn't care for Triple Crown Senior, but he does like the regional brand senior, so I give that to him, even though it's not as low carb as I'd like to feed him. [The rest of the herd happily eats TC Senior. They are fickle little critters.]

I found something that he likes! It's kind of expensive but he will eat it out of my hand so you know it's a winner! It's Australian...made by Hygain...called Hygain Zero - specifically for cushings/metabolic types. No soy and very low starch. yippee!

I use Hygain zero as well. Its been the only feed my laminitic mare will eat. I tried a few other low sugar /starch feeds, but the minis would give me filthy look and walk off :)

• Haha
Reactions: Taz
I use Hygain zero as well. Its been the only feed my laminitic mare will eat. I tried a few other low sugar /starch feeds, but the minis would give me filthy look and walk off :)

mine too. Oddly and hopefully it's just a coincidence but the day after I started him on the Zero (just a half cup) he turned up lame. Honestly it's a day by day thing with this guy....one day he's prancing around like a foal...then BAM...lame

Hopefully its just stone bruise. Is he on grass as well ?

He can graze just a tiny bit...just what he can reach from inside his drylot paddock. The past two mornings he was super lame ...no heat in his hooves and no noticeable digital pulse. By the end of the day he seems a bit better. I'm beginning to wonder if it's arthritis rather than laminitis. I don't know. This little guy is quite a puzzle at times.

Just mentioning this because you said he may have arthritis. I have an old donkey with very bad arthritis, nothing was helping. I got her a pair of Streamz eqibands (magnetic bands) and she isn't sound but is holding at comfortable enough and totaly happy. They are supposed to be good for laminitis as well. I put them on the ones I have that get laminitic if they look like they're getting sore and so far it helps. I got the people version after seeing the results on my donkey and they do help me as well. Just a noninvasive nondrug idea.

Latest posts

Back