Hi from Northern California

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Flats

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I registered a very long while back but am finally getting around to jumping in! I have two minis. The first one was given to me by a woman who was breeding minis and this mare was too big for her program and had been basically standing around for 8 years. I took her in as a pasture pal for another horse 2 years ago. She was skittish and hard to catch at first and just didn't like being touched, but we over came that. The lady said she was using junior farriers on her minis and said they caused this one to develop a bad habit. How bad could it be I thought. Well, she lifted her front feet just fine and then when you went to do the back feet she would just sit down right on top of them! That took a while to correct. We overcame so many things and she became really eager to please. So then I got curious about what kinds of things I could do with her. I went to shows and volunteered at CDEs and knew I wanted to drive. So here I was new to driving and trying to find my way. I purchased a "trained" gelding driving mini from a local "trainer" and also placed the mare with her to train to drive. The mare was with her for 4 months but she wasn't working with her and the trained gelding (who I adore) was really just green broke. let's just say I learned some costly lessons and leave it at that.

Fast forward to almost a year later. I found an amazing trainer an hour away that took in my gelding and made him a much better match for a beginner driver and then gave me driving lessons with him. I still have a lot to work on with the two minis and questions, but I'll keep those for future posts! I have enjoyed reading your threads. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom!!!!
Kriss profile.jpeg 557.JPG

Thanks Ryan! It's been rainy here in Northern California. We don't have to deal with snow and frozen pipes, just clay soil here which gets a top layer of sticky slippery mud! Horrible driving conditions so we are doing ground work in the dry lots for now. :)

Latest posts

Back